New Power Meter - iBike Pro

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
There's a new power meter on the market, and it's also at performance bike right now for $349. See the link -

http://www.ibikesports.com/faq.html

Does anyone have this yet and can they post more info on it? Can anyone post a comparison of it with other power meters installed on your bike?

What I don't like about it is the inaccuracy from changing riding positions. I like the 1 sec / 16 hrs recording capability. Also, I think it's too expensive. I'd rather pay $150 for it, $250 tops.

I already have 3 Polar Power Output kits. Might get this for my 5th road bike.

I was looking at this the other day too. It sounds a little better than the HAC4 computer by having what looks like a means to measure frontal wind speed. The problem I think with this sort of device is that your frontal area is always changing depending on weather you're riding in the drops, bar tops, hoods, etc. and you can only calibrate it in one position. I can imagine at lower speeds (like climbing hills) and with longer averaging intervals it's probably not too bad. Conversely at higher speeds (and wind speeds) the fight against the air becomes a bigger problem and I would guess this is where the error would increase.

But it's always nice for the consumer to have more options available.

Erik

I think iBike can solve their aerodynamic problem by incorporating an aerodynamic mode switch button that you press to tell the computer that your in the drops, top, or hoods. And it then should have 3 aerodynamic calculations and 3 corresponding calibrations.

If iBike won't publish the results of their study I definitely won't have confidence in this product. I already think it's overpriced at $349.