New PT - Why all the dropouts?

Biker Joe

Nov 6, 2007
This week I received a new Zipp wheel with a PT 2.4.

During the inagural test ride, a easy 11 mile jaunt around the neighborhood I found that the display would go into the searching mode at almost every traffic light. After a few seconds it would come back on.

However, the bigger issue is that I have done this ride several dozen times and know that the exact distance is 10.62 miles door to door. The new PT display indicated that the ride was 9.02 miles. At one point 3/4 through the ride, the display went to all dashes for about a minute or so. In viewing the graph, the recorded data show a speed spike to over 1,000 MPH!

There are a number of traffic lights on the graph and a bridge climb about 1/3 of the way into the ride. I am attaching the file for anyone interested and who can provide their opnion and comments.

Wondering if the Hub or Computer is defective?

2241336293_6d710922a8_b.jpg

Almost forgot,

When I scroll through the data on the compter head itself, the distance for the ride shows 10.62 miles!

What's up with that? How can the computer head differ from the downloaded ride file?

Joe

Biker Joe said:
Almost forgot,

When I scroll through the data on the compter head itself, the distance for the ride shows 10.62 miles!

What's up with that? How can the computer head differ from the downloaded ride file?

Joe
What setting are you using in the cpu to stop recording (i.e. no speed or no HR)? What software are you using to download? - TF

I am not for sure if this is the same, but I got my PT about a little over a month ago, and for the first 2 weeks, anytime i touched it, or bumped it, or hid a rough part of the road it would stop reading and would show dashes. I had to make sure it was firmly situated in the mount to get it going again, but I am no longer having those issues. Don't know if it was a breaking in period or something, but it sounds kind of like what you are experiencing.

You probably should tell us what kind of PT. E.g., is it wired or wireless? Regardless, probably the biggest source of dropouts is weak hub batteries. Try changing them and I'd bet your dropouts will go away.

lanierb said:
Regardless, probably the biggest source of dropouts is weak hub batteries.
Disagree. My experience is that hub batteries (on an SL hub, wired or not) will go 6 months to a year, while the CPU battery lasts roughly half that time or less. So I always recommend the order of steps to be:

1) Change CPU battery

2) Change hub batteries

3) Start isolating components to see where the problem is.

For a wireless, I might move step 3 up to step 1 since there's no receiver to deal with.

Biker Joe said:
The receiver is mounted on the bar stem.

Then move the shark-fin closer to the hub. I guess you mean you have a wireless PT...

mr_mojo said:
Then move the shark-fin closer to the hub. I guess you mean you have a wireless PT...
ve both

Sorry, should have been more clear. This is a Powertap 2.4 wireless hub. No shark fin. The stem mount has no electronic connections.

I have both Saris Power Agent and Training Peaks WKO+

Terry Ferguson said:
What setting are you using in the cpu to stop recording (i.e. no speed or no HR)? What software are you using to download? - TF
I have the computer to stop recording with speed.

jbvcoaching said:
Disagree. My experience is that hub batteries (on an SL hub, wired or not) will go 6 months to a year, while the CPU battery lasts roughly half that time or less. So I always recommend the order of steps to be:

1) Change CPU battery

2) Change hub batteries

3) Start isolating components to see where the problem is.

For a wireless, I might move step 3 up to step 1 since there's no receiver to deal with.
I agree that the CPU battery lasts less long than the hub, but the first sign of a weak CPU battery is usually downloading issues, not data dropouts on the ride. Data dropouts are usually a sign of a weak hub battery (in my experience).

Just wanted to give everyone and update and explain what has happened.

I wrote Saris and explained the problem. The called and emailed me several times over the past 2 weeks as I tried to work through a few of their suggestions. Once it became apparent that the problem was definitely with either the hub or the computer, Saris asked me send both the hub and computer back to them.

Within a few hours I received a RA (Return Authorization), to my amazement it was prepaid and they asked which shipping carrier I would prefer to use. The wheel was picked up at 5PM and on it's way.

It has only been gone for two days, but I feel completely satisfied that Saris treated me with the utmost of concern and professionalism. They have assured me that the hub/computer repair will be expedited.

For any of you experiencing any problems, give Saris a call. Their support and attention to the customer is second to none. I also have to say that I have two computers and three wheels with PT hubs. This has been the only one with an issue. I am confident that Saris will take care of the issue.

Sounds like they have great customer support I'm having major dropout issues with my 3 month old wireless as well as rediculus fluctuations in power even when not pedaling usually this settles down after 10 mins and then l stop and recal torque
and if l'm lucky l can sometimes get a 1 hour session with only a handful of dropouts but not always, l need to contact saris and proly send it back, but in Australia that could be quite a wait for the repair. lnterested to see how you fair in your wait for their repair or assesement of your PT. For 2 grand $AU l hoped l would get something more reliable.

bubsy said:
Sounds like they have great customer support I'm having major dropout issues with my 3 month old wireless as well as rediculus fluctuations in power even when not pedaling usually this settles down after 10 mins and then l stop and recal torque
and if l'm lucky l can sometimes get a 1 hour session with only a handful of dropouts but not always, l need to contact saris and proly send it back, but in Australia that could be quite a wait for the repair. lnterested to see how you fair in your wait for their repair or assesement of your PT. For 2 grand $AU l hoped l would get something more reliable.

Well, with the money you saved getting a PT instead of an SRM you can get a spare PT and cover the costs of shipping PTs back to Saris. If you had bought the most expensive powermeter on the market then perhaps you have a legitimate complaint if it proved unreliable.

Squint said:
Well, with the money you saved getting a PT instead of an SRM you can get a spare PT and cover the costs of shipping PTs back to Saris. If you had bought the most expensive powermeter on the market then perhaps you have a legitimate complaint if it proved unreliable.
Yeh fair point, infact If all works out well with this unit and l'm happy with it after a lot more hours use then that's exactly what l have planned, just a little frustrating when your deep into an interval and you look down to to see you are doing 0w or 1200w :eek: l usually abort mission pull over and sream vulgar language at the nearest farm animals; once thats out of my system l'm ready for for more training with or without power.

bubsy said:
Yeh fair point, infact If all works out well with this unit and l'm happy with it after a lot more hours use then that's exactly what l have planned, just a little frustrating when your deep into an interval and you look down to to see you are doing 0w or 1200w :eek: l usually abort mission pull over and sream vulgar language at the nearest farm animals; once thats out of my system l'm ready for for more training with or without power.

Technology, you gotta love it....the dirge of society. ;-)

Squint said:
... If you had bought the most expensive powermeter on the market then perhaps you have a legitimate complaint if it proved unreliable.
So by that rationale you have no right to complain if your Mercedes breaks down because you didn't buy the Lamborghini.

Come on, the PT still costs over a grand if you buy it new, it's not unreasonable to expect it to work well ... at least the customer service is great.

UPDATE,

AMAZING, I received the wheel and computer back this AM. Just a few days for Saris to turn it around. There was no paperwork, so I can not say what the issue was, but it appears they sent a new computer.

Will test it out this weekend.
Way to go Saris your customer service rocks!

Their customer service must be better with the Zipp/Powertap SL wheels. My PT Pro which was dead on arrival had a 2 week turn around. :p