New Pump Needed

Gadget

Guest
Just acquired a new bike and have come across a small problem. The old bike pump from the previous
bike has a Schrader Valve and the new bike has Presta Valves. I went into my local bike shop for a
new pump or maybe an adapter and was a little taken a back by the number of bike pumps their is now.
The current pump is a hand over from my parents and my dad said he bought it in the 70's. Thanks to
a good sense of maintence and care I have never yet had to buy a new pump but now I do. So a couple
of simple questions. Firstly, any suggestions for a decent presta pump? Secondly, are those little
bottles of compressed co2 any good? Thirdly, must be able to maintain as I would like to pass down
to my kids if I ever have any.

Thanks

Gadget

Gadget wrote:
> Just acquired a new bike and have come across a small problem. The old bike pump from the previous
> bike has a Schrader Valve and the new bike has Presta Valves. I went into my local bike shop for a
> new pump or maybe an adapter and was a little taken a back by the number of bike pumps their is
> now. The current pump is a hand over from my parents and my dad said he bought it in the 70's.
> Thanks to a good sense of maintence and care I have never yet had to buy a new pump but now I do.
> So a couple of simple questions. Firstly, any suggestions for a decent presta pump? Secondly, are
> those little bottles of compressed co2 any good? Thirdly, must be able to maintain as I would like
> to pass down to my kids if I ever have any.

co2 is great as long as you ride with someone with a real pump. I can't praise the Zefal HPX highly
enough, for me there is no contest if you can use a frame fit pump.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I1FE621A3

--
Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

"Chris Gerhard" <no_spam@not_btclick.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gadget wrote:
> > Just acquired a new bike and have come across a small problem. The old
bike
> > pump from the previous bike has a Schrader Valve and the new bike has
Presta
> > Valves. I went into my local bike shop for a new pump or maybe an
adapter
> > and was a little taken a back by the number of bike pumps their is now.
The
> > current pump is a hand over from my parents and my dad said he bought it
in
> > the 70's. Thanks to a good sense of maintence and care I have never yet
had
> > to buy a new pump but now I do. So a couple of simple questions.
Firstly,
> > any suggestions for a decent presta pump? Secondly, are those little
bottles
> > of compressed co2 any good? Thirdly, must be able to maintain as I would like to pass down to my
> > kids if I ever have any.
>
> co2 is great as long as you ride with someone with a real pump. I can't praise the Zefal HPX
> highly enough, for me there is no contest if you can use a frame fit pump.
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I1FE621A3

Settle do them a quid cheaper ('truflo HPX' is identical).

cheers, clive

Gadget wrote:
> Just acquired a new bike and have come across a small problem. The old bike pump from the
> previous bike has a Schrader Valve and the new bike has Presta Valves. I went into my local bike
> shop for a new pump or maybe an adapter and was a little taken a back by the number of bike pumps
> their is now.

Will you be carrying it with you? If no, seriously consider a track pump: much quicker and easier to
inflate with one of those (think ACME dynamite plungers) than a hand pump.

If you are carrying it with you, what sort of bike? Offroad, a long frame mounted pump that tucks
into one half of the diamond will probably spend its time falling out, so a mini-pump may be better.
If it's for road use the HPX suggested already is the canonical Good Pump AFAICT.

An alternative would be to swap your tubes if you get on well with Schraders (I prefer Prestas and
have swapped the other way).

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Gadget" wrote in message:

> Just acquired a new bike and have come across a small problem. The old
bike
> pump from the previous bike has a Schrader Valve and the new bike has
Presta
> Valves. I went into my local bike shop for a new pump or maybe an adapter and was a little taken a
> back by the number of bike pumps their is now.
The
> current pump is a hand over from my parents and my dad said he bought it
in
> the 70's. Thanks to a good sense of maintence and care I have never yet
had
> to buy a new pump but now I do. So a couple of simple questions. Firstly, any suggestions for a
> decent presta pump? Secondly, are those little
bottles
> of compressed co2 any good? Thirdly, must be able to maintain as I would like to pass down to my
> kids if I ever have any.

Blackburn pumps come with a lifetime guarantee, might make passing down achievable.

Regards, Tony

--
www.therush.uk.com

The Zefal pumps are great BUT they won't fit in a pannier.

The best I've come across is the Blackburn Mammoth Dual. It's a big volume, and with a press of a
button, a high pressure pump, it works, it'll fit in a pannier and will do both types of valves. It
won't make tea, but nobody's perfect

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Will you be carrying it with you? If no

or yes

>, seriously consider a track pump:

as well!

> much quicker and easier to inflate with one of those (think ACME dynamite plungers) than a
> hand pump.

> If you are carrying it with you, what sort of bike? Offroad, a long frame mounted pump that tucks
> into one half of the diamond will probably spend its time falling out

I don't know if any offroaders bother doing this, but with most MTB's, an HPX could be fitted
under the top tube using a peg or cable tie around head tube, with a velcro strap (or two) to
hold it tight.

~PB

> The Zefal pumps are great BUT they won't fit in a pannier.

Depends how big panniers are and how small pump is. HPX comes in four sizes. Anyway, pump can go on
bike when riding and can half stick out of bag when not - so that's no excuse! :)

~PB

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:14:40 -0000, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Zefal pumps are great BUT they won't fit in a pannier.

Yes they do - they just stick out a bit :p

Anyway, the HPX fits on the bike, not in the pannier. Best pump I've ever had, by a country mile. I
have a little Road Morph on the 'bent, there being no obvious place for an HPX, and that's not too
bad, but the Zéfal is definitely the kink of on-bike pumps.

Much appreciated by the CO2 brigade on club rides, I find...

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> writes:

> The Zefal pumps are great BUT they won't fit in a pannier.

They come in several sizes. I always have a small one in my pannier. For my daily commute it's much
easier to have everything in the pannier, no faffing with installing things on the farme and
removing them at the destination.

> I don't know if any offroaders bother doing this, but with most MTB's, an HPX could be fitted
> under the top tube using a peg or cable tie around head tube, with a velcro strap (or two) to hold
> it tight.

Problem is many pukka off-road bikes no longer have diamond frames, (see below). With those that do
(and I have one) it's nice to be able to shoulder the bike when needed using the top tube. On my
diamond framed mtb I fit a short frame fit pump behind the seat tube by locating it between the LH
chain stay and the rear brake cable hanger, if vees are fitted use a plastic Jubilee type peg,
trouble is it's in the line of fire from back wheel cack.

Overall an effecient mini-pump works out best, it can be fitted into a Camelbak, downside is you
could forget it, or in my case on my non-diamond mtb using the bottle mounts where the Crud catcher
protects it from the worst of the front wheel cack. I use a Topeak Mini (?) Blaster, cheap enough
not to cry over if it gets lost or broken and effecient enough to get a fat tyre up to 50 psi before
the danger of an exertion triggered heart attack becomes a reality.

I rarely (touch wood) puncture on my road bike so as any pump is regarded as a last resort I use a
Specialized Air Force 2, £9.99, which'll get up to 80 psi reasonably easily (certified using a
gauge). The real work is done at home and there is no substitute for a track pump.

So, my philosophy is to invest in a track pump and only pay the minimum for a bike fitting pump.

Pete

On 01 Mar 2003 08:39:52 +0000, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Gadget" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>[about pumps]
>
>Zefal HP-X. There is no substitute :)

I left my HP-X by the roadside once, after fixing someone else's puncture on a tandem club run. I
didn't realise I was without it until I was nearly home.

I went back for it.

Tim

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 12:14:48 +0000, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

>I left my HP-X by the roadside once, after fixing someone else's puncture on a tandem club run. I
>didn't realise I was without it until I was nearly home.

>I went back for it.

Surely you had it trained to return home unaided? There is nothing which is beyond the powers of
an HPX :p

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:52:08 -0000, "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just acquired a new bike and have come across a small problem. The old bike pump from the previous
>bike has a Schrader Valve and the new bike has Presta Valves. I went into my local bike shop for a
>new pump or maybe an adapter and was a little taken a back by the number of bike pumps their is
>now. The current pump is a hand over from my parents and my dad said he bought it in the 70's.
>Thanks to a good sense of maintence and care I have never yet had to buy a new pump but now I do.
>So a couple of simple questions. Firstly, any suggestions for a decent presta pump? Secondly, are
>those little bottles of compressed co2 any good? Thirdly, must be able to maintain as I would like
>to pass down to my kids if I ever have any.

i have a specialized air-force 4. takes shraeder and presta, its tiny!, costs about 10£ fantastic
little pump.

-- Dark Fiber <[email protected]> -- [FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/os Sarien Sierra AGI Emulator http://www.mega-tokyo.com/sarien 3x3 Eyes
Fanfiction Archive http://www.mega-tokyo.com/pai

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I went back for it.
>
> Surely you had it trained to return home unaided? There is nothing which is beyond the powers of
> an HPX :p

Yes but they get into a sulk if you don't make an effort

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

[email protected] schreef ...
> In message <[email protected]>, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee"
> <[email protected]> writes
> >I've had Zefals
>
> HPX?
>
> >and the Blackburn is as good.
> >
> Nothing, (that fits on a bike) is a good as an HPX

I beg to disagree. I have a Blackburn Frame Pump
(http://www.blackburndesign.com/WEBREADY/03framepump.html). Recently I had to let the Blackburn
stand in for an unwilling HPX. The HPX wasn't used very much so it can't have been wear, but the
Blackburn left in "standing in the dust" so to speak.

As for transporting a pump: many smaller pumps (I mean smaller than HPXs and the likes) come with
holders that fit under a water bottle cage. Works great on practically any bike.

--
Regards, Marten