New Purchase, Need Advise

mi77915

Oct 3, 2011
Hi,

I currently own a Giant OCR-2 road bike that I purchased new (4) years ago. I am now at the point where I am considering the purchase of another bike. This time, I am in the market for a “Duel Sport” type of a bike. This way, I’ll be able to ride on both the paved roads and some unpaved (single or two track) surfaces. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Trek DS 8.3 or the Giant Roam 1 (both have mechanical disc brakes). My real question is: which of these (2) bikes have the better (more reliable) components (derailleurs, crank, cassette, brakes, wheels…….)? I do realize that I will be test riding these (2) bikes, but with all things being equal, if it comes down to components, I would like to purchase the bike with the "better" components.

Thank you,

Tom

Component-wise, the Trek is slightly better from a dependability stand point. Both bikes are nearly equal, however, I would prefer the Trek's Shimano-Bontrager mix to the Giant's mix of Sram, Shimano, Tektro, and a bunch of others. Things start to get complicated when you start mixing a bunch of different manufacturers components to meet a price point rather than picking the components that work together and then seeing how much it all costs.

kdelong,

Thank you for your response!! I agree that the bikes are nearly equal. I also think the Trek has a slight advantage.

Thanks again,

Tom

I am also satisfied with Both are equal but i prefer Trek DS 8.3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find out all you need to know with regards to biking and cycling at bikes-bicycle-parts.com. We have articles related to biking, cycling, bikes, bicycles & bicycle parts specially for the amateur cyclists.