New Quarq+Garmin Edge 500 or Used Wired SRAM SRM Powermeter?

teetopkram

Jan 27, 2006
Hi all -

Looking for a power meter, and have two options I am considering. Am interested in your opinions on pros/cons of each in terms of reliability, better value, warranty concerns, performance, etc.

SRM: 1 year old SRAM SRM wired powermeter with PCV computer, everything included, very good condition, just got back completely serviced, calibrated, and new batteries from SRM - $1750.

Quarq: Would be buying new, using the Garmin Edge 500 for the computer. Advantages are wireless and get a warranty. $1795 for crank/quarq, and $400 for Edge 500 with HR/Cadence/Speed = $2195 total.

Any thoughts...would reliability of SRM be a concern given it would come without warranty? Is one more easy to maintain (e.g., change batteries) than the other?

Thanks for your opinions!

They are both good ways to go. My impression is that implementation of ANT+ can vary some between head unit manufactures. It's my understanding that even how Garmin manages files between the 705 and 500 is different.

Having said that, I obviously prefer a more "system-like" approach in having both PM and the head unit from the same manufacturer. I've no doubt that some of the quirks in ANT+ implementation will be effectively addressed. As I'm not an "early adopter" I'll wait with my wired SRM in the mean time.

My 0.02,
Dave

I use a Quark with a 705 computer. It works great. I had a Powertap wireless before, but found myself wanting to use different wheels. I think the end results for both of your options would be very similar, but for me wireless would be the way to go.