New RANS Model ?

Ken Kramer

Guest
I have heard that RANS has cheapened their V2 for 2003 to make room for a high end aluminum version
which I think will be called the Formula. It is supposed to sell for over $3000. Can anyone confirm
this? When is the release date?

"Ken Kramer" skrev...
[q1]> I have heard that RANS has cheapened their V2 for 2003 to make room for a high end aluminum[/q1]
[q1]> version which I think will be called the Formula. It is supposed to sell for over $3000. Can[/q1]
[q1]> anyone confirm this? When is the release date?[/q1]

http://www.ransbikes.com/Whatsnew/V2Formula.htm

6061 aluminum tubing is cheaper than 4130 cromo, so why not? If the Formula is an import, Rans will
be bagging substantual bucks with all the hype. Unlike titanium or carbon, aluminum exibits a "dead"
feel. I'd be surprised if the Formula was any different.

news:<[email protected]>...
[q1]> "Ken Kramer" skrev...[/q1]
[q2]> > I have heard that RANS has cheapened their V2 for 2003 to make room for a high end aluminum[/q2]
[q2]> > version which I think will be called the Formula. It is supposed to sell for over $3000. Can[/q2]
[q2]> > anyone confirm this? When is the release date?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> http://www.ransbikes.com/Whatsnew/V2Formula.htm[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> M[/q1]

The Ti Rush with stock equipment from Easy Racers or an ER dealer lists for $5200. Add shipping
($72) fairing ($279) dual kickstand ($35) bottle cages ($15) plus any other upgrades you may
have in mind.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

"Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote mid to upper 3K
[q1]> The Ti Rush with a performance package can top 5K.[/q1]

At the 02' LV Show I got to look closely at this entry. The bent shown on the website is the EXACT
bike that was at the show. It (the one shown) had a RANS seat with a thinner seat pad and a nicer
more durable seat mesh. Now that said...Randy Schlitter indicated that the wheelset may change and
that they were still working on the seat. These were two areas that it seems were still in the "up
in the air" stage in early October. As most of us that follow the bent world happenings closely know
from experience is. "It ain't what it is.... till it is". Al la V2 and Saber. The website narrative
indicates a carbon seat. I would not be suprised if it ends up being a eurotype hardshell. It would
be a simple way to lighten it up. I personally prefer the hardshell euroseats on performance bents.
The wheelset? The HED's shown are expensive, even at wholesale prices. Current retail on the one
shown is about $650/60... My guess is that RANS has chosen to make a "production" performance LWB
rather than compete in the already somewhat conjested SWB arena. I have seen many a GRR decked out
with HED wheels and Ultegra mixed packages. The cost of these machines was well into the mid to
upper 3K area. The Ti Rush with a performance package can top 5K. I want to replace my sold V2 with
another LWB. However, It way well be a cromo or aluminum V2 frameset with the M5 seat adapted to it
and mixed component bag. Or perhaps a "tater" Hmmm.

news:ry0U9.84357$%[email protected]...

Papa wrote:

> 6061 aluminum tubing is cheaper than 4130 cromo, so why not? If the Formula is an import, Rans
> will be bagging substantual bucks with all the hype.[...]

That assumes the frame is most of the cost of the bike. In this case, I would think the component
cost was considerable.

John Riley

Papa wrote:

> 6061 aluminum tubing is cheaper than 4130 cromo, so why not? If the Formula is an import, Rans
> will be bagging substantual bucks with all the hype. Unlike titanium or carbon, aluminum exibits a
> "dead" feel. I'd be surprised if the Formula was any different.

Conventional wisdom dies hard. The amount of vertical flexure is most bicycle frames (certainly in
something as stiff as the RANS Velocity Squared) is negligible compared to that of the tires. And
the overall stiffness of the frame is what would be important, not the elastic modulus of a
particular frame material.

However, aluminium, steel, titanium, and carbon fiber composite frame bikes will all sound different
due to the different damping properties of each material. This will produce a subjectively different
ride quality for each frame material (for riders with hearing in the normal range or better).

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

John Riley <[email protected]> wrote in news:3E21F667.BF426A59 @rogers.com:

> Papa wrote:
>>
>> 6061 aluminum tubing is cheaper than 4130 cromo, so why not? If the Formula is an import, Rans
>> will be bagging substantual bucks with all the hype.[...]
>
> That assumes the frame is most of the cost of the bike. In this case, I would think the component
> cost was considerable.
>
> John Riley

Saw somewhere (maybe here) someone claiming that the wheelset was $650 !!!

Mikael Seierup wrote:

> "Ken Kramer" skrev...
>> I have heard that RANS has cheapened their V2 for 2003 to make room for a high end aluminum
>> version which I think will be called the Formula. It is supposed to sell for over $3000. Can
>> anyone confirm this? When is the release date?
>
> http://www.ransbikes.com/Whatsnew/V2Formula.htm

That *thing* is WAY WAY WAY overpriced. For that kind of money you can by a Challenge Jester or an
Optima Baron and have enough money left over for a cruise (which you will later need the bike to
*recover* from).

mc
--
Replace "****" with "warnerm" in my email addr