New rear gear

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jim, May 11, 2003.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.

    Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
    and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !

    Shouldn't they ?

    :)

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    > I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.
    >
    > Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
    > and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !
    >
    > Shouldn't they ?

    Yes, but the instructions are there only to ward off amateurs. The professionals will already know
    how to do it and ignore the instructions anyway. ;-)

    Tony

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.
    >
    > Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
    > and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !
    >
    > Shouldn't they ?

    Absobleedinlutely - particularly when it comes to indexing.

    One serious note: make sure cable is anchored to the correct side of bolt.

    ~PB

  4. On Sun, 11 May 2003 13:08:15 +0100, Jim did issue forth:

    > I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.
    >
    > Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
    > and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !

    Is this a bad time to say that when I fitted a new XTR mech to my MTB last week I managed to get it
    fitted and correctly indexing with minimal farting about? ;-)

    --
    Huw Pritchard

  5. "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Absobleedinlutely - particularly when it comes to indexing.
    >
    > One serious note: make sure cable is anchored to the correct side of bolt.

    Unless trying to make a Campag 9-speed lever/mech shift on an 8sp. Campag block. In which case, make
    sure cable is anchored to *incorrect* side of bolt! I kid you not, it works a treat.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Is this a bad time to say that when I fitted a new XTR mech to my MTB last week I managed to get
    > it fitted and correctly indexing with minimal farting about? ;-)

    Now you mention it I don't recall having any problems with a variety of Shimano road and mtb rear
    mechs <1>. Should we form a Smug Ba*tards Club? ;-)

    <1> Currently having problems with an LX front mech. I reckon it's worn out but being a member of
    the Tight Gits Club means I can't buy a new one until it falls to pieces at the Worst
    Possible Time.

    Pete