New rear gear

Jim

Guest
I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.

Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !

Shouldn't they ?

:)

> I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.
>
> Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
> and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !
>
> Shouldn't they ?

Yes, but the instructions are there only to ward off amateurs. The professionals will already know
how to do it and ignore the instructions anyway. ;-)

Tony

Jim wrote:
> I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.
>
> Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
> and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !
>
> Shouldn't they ?

Absobleedinlutely - particularly when it comes to indexing.

One serious note: make sure cable is anchored to the correct side of bolt.

~PB

On Sun, 11 May 2003 13:08:15 +0100, Jim did issue forth:

> I have just fitted a new rear gear to my bike, Campag Centaur 9 speed.
>
> Why do the instructions make it look so absolute ? They should say 'fiddle about with it loosening
> and tightening all the nuts and bolts you can find until it works' !

Is this a bad time to say that when I fitted a new XTR mech to my MTB last week I managed to get it
fitted and correctly indexing with minimal farting about? ;-)

--
Huw Pritchard

news:<[email protected]>...

> Absobleedinlutely - particularly when it comes to indexing.
>
> One serious note: make sure cable is anchored to the correct side of bolt.

Unless trying to make a Campag 9-speed lever/mech shift on an 8sp. Campag block. In which case, make
sure cable is anchored to *incorrect* side of bolt! I kid you not, it works a treat.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Is this a bad time to say that when I fitted a new XTR mech to my MTB last week I managed to get
> it fitted and correctly indexing with minimal farting about? ;-)

Now you mention it I don't recall having any problems with a variety of Shimano road and mtb rear
mechs <1>. Should we form a Smug Ba*tards Club? ;-)

<1> Currently having problems with an LX front mech. I reckon it's worn out but being a member of
the Tight Gits Club means I can't buy a new one until it falls to pieces at the Worst
Possible Time.

Pete