New reason to put sewing kit in bike repair bag!

Dear rbm:
Whilst shopping at large ethnic market, I spotted a little sewing
kit, so I added it to my basket. Another person, who'd followed me in
conversation from the Big Bicycle Company superstore in the center (and
probably though I was headed to the Sign of the Green Mermaid for
coffee) asked me why I got that along with a bunch of miso soup paste
and dried seaweed. "I'll add it to my bike repair kit" I said. "But but
but but you ride CLINCHERS!" said "Racer X."

It was, of course, about three hours later, while dong the nocturnal
downhill thing on Linda Vista Drive that I realized my reply should
have been "I've got to keep the safety pins for the race numbers
SOMEWHERE."

Robert Leone [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear rbm:
> Whilst shopping at large ethnic market, I spotted a little sewing
> kit, so I added it to my basket. Another person, who'd followed me in
> conversation from the Big Bicycle Company superstore in the center (and
> probably though I was headed to the Sign of the Green Mermaid for
> coffee) asked me why I got that along with a bunch of miso soup paste
> and dried seaweed. "I'll add it to my bike repair kit" I said. "But but
> but but you ride CLINCHERS!" said "Racer X."
>
> It was, of course, about three hours later, while dong the nocturnal
> downhill thing on Linda Vista Drive that I realized my reply should
> have been "I've got to keep the safety pins for the race numbers
> SOMEWHERE."

There are many good reasons for a sewing kit, probably a good idea to
throw a tensor bandage and a couple of sterile dressings into the bag
too.....

> Dear rbm:
> Whilst shopping at large ethnic market, I spotted a little sewing
> kit, so I added it to my basket. Another person, who'd followed me in
> conversation from the Big Bicycle Company superstore in the center (and
> probably though I was headed to the Sign of the Green Mermaid for
> coffee) asked me why I got that along with a bunch of miso soup paste
> and dried seaweed. "I'll add it to my bike repair kit" I said. "But but
> but but you ride CLINCHERS!" said "Racer X."

Thanks for the laugh. I now have this mental picture of a racer sitting
on the side of the road with a needle and thread "fixing his sew-ups".

> It was, of course, about three hours later, while dong the nocturnal
> downhill thing on Linda Vista Drive that I realized my reply should
> have been "I've got to keep the safety pins for the race numbers
> SOMEWHERE."

Or perhaps, "In every race I enter, I seem to always get assigned the
number "14" so I thought I may as well embroider it on all my jerseys."

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> and dried seaweed. "I'll add it to my bike repair kit" I said. "But but
>> but but you ride CLINCHERS!" said "Racer X."

> Thanks for the laugh. I now have this mental picture of a racer sitting
> on the side of the road with a needle and thread "fixing his sew-ups".

I also got a chuckle out of it, though I suspect for a different reason
that most of you.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/Racer_X_2.gif

The mental image of standing in the grocery checkout line with 'Racer X'
was simply too good. What did he have in his basket?

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"No job too big; no fee too big!"

Dane Buson wrote:
> Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

He'd stocked up on canned ready to drink coffee. But he sure was
curious about the miso paste. Also the pickled garlic (but neither of
us got any of that!). However, the fine ceramics department had him
floored -- I don't know the specifics, but I betcha I know the theme
for his wife's next birthday present (she's a tea drinker).