New recent bicycle Signs on 1:20

JoeDe

Guest
Ok now I hate to say I told you so but what I believed would happen has
happened to me twice in a few weeks!

Earlier this year, they put a sign warning of "Bikes next 4K" at the bottom
and top of the 1:20. (Mountain Hwy from The Basin to Sassafras on Mt
Dandenong Melbourne for those who don't know). At the time I thought strange
as the stretch of road is 7K long but at least its an advisory sign for
motorists to be aware of us peddlers on arguably Melbourne's most popular
climb for cyclists.

But recently, they've also added a "Cyclists Single File" at the same
points. Now I can understand why but I feel it's having an unexpected
result. Only a couple of days ago while climbing, I was passing a slower
rider when a car coming in the opposite direction decided to stop and yelled
abuse and shouting "Can't you idiots read signs". He didn't realize I was
passing and hit the proverbial when he saw me only for a few seconds along
the slower rider. Other friends have also reported increase in retaliation
since the signs have been put in place there and in other parts of the
Dandenong without single file signs.

Speaking to an officer, they're advisory signs as they contradict the road
laws of riding two abreast but should be obeyed unless overtaking, or
conditions suggest otherwise. Now I'm one of the first to suggest single
file with riding mates under certain riding conditions but I believe these
signs just give real idiots reasons to take things into their own hand. I've
also had a local up there approach me while having a coffee saying "you see,
those signs prove cyclists were always breaking the law riding two abreast".

I believe that most motorists don't know that cyclists are legally allowed
to ride two abreast and if more of these signs are posted, it's only going
to lead to more confusion. Wouldn't have made more sense to have it read
"Cyclists Single File Next 4 (or 7)K "? At least then it sub-consciously has
motorists aware that after a certain distance cyclists may be riding two
abreast once again.

Better still, with the increase in cycling, advertising campagne ( TV ads )
is needed to make motorists aware of cycling road rules like two abreast ,
minimum of 1 meter passing a cyclist, etc. Maybe something for BV to act on
as I personally believe most issues are due to unawareness of cyclists
rights as a road user.

Geez, I needed to get that off my chest!

JoeDe

JoeDe said:
[...]

Yeh they kinda play into the hands of pent up motorists with an axe to grind...everybody just needs to relaaaax a little bit.

"Jono L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [...]
>> read
>> "Cyclists Single File Next 4 (or 7)K "? At least then it
>> sub-consciously has
>> motorists aware that after a certain distance cyclists may be riding
>> two
>> abreast once again.
>>
>> Better still, with the increase in cycling, advertising campagne ( TV
>> is needed to make motorists aware of cycling road rules like two
>> abreast ,
>> minimum of 1 meter passing a cyclist, etc. Maybe something for BV to
>> act on
>> as I personally believe most issues are due to unawareness of cyclists
>> rights as a road user.
>>
>> Geez, I needed to get that off my chest!
>>
>> JoeDe

> Yeh they kinda play into the hands of pent up motorists with an axe to
> grind...everybody just needs to relaaaax a little bit.

Yup, same thing happened to me and a mate a few weeks back. Had a couple of
yobbo drivers get abusive when we did not ride single file. Honking and so
forth. They seemed to calm down when I yelled their number plate out along
with 'noted'.

"JoeDe" wrote:

> Ok now I hate to say I told you so but what I believed would happen has
> happened to me twice in a few weeks!
>
> Earlier this year, they put a sign warning of "Bikes next 4K" at the
> bottom and top of the 1:20. (Mountain Hwy from The Basin to Sassafras on
> Mt Dandenong Melbourne for those who don't know). At the time I thought
> strange as the stretch of road is 7K long but at least its an advisory
> sign for motorists to be aware of us peddlers on arguably Melbourne's most
> popular climb for cyclists.
>
> But recently, they've also added a "Cyclists Single File" at the same
> points. Now I can understand why but I feel it's having an unexpected
> result. Only a couple of days ago while climbing, I was passing a slower
> rider when a car coming in the opposite direction decided to stop and
> yelled abuse and shouting "Can't you idiots read signs". He didn't realize
> I was passing and hit the proverbial when he saw me only for a few seconds
> along the slower rider. Other friends have also reported increase in
> retaliation since the signs have been put in place there and in other
> parts of the Dandenong without single file signs.
>
> Speaking to an officer, they're advisory signs as they contradict the road
> laws of riding two abreast but should be obeyed unless overtaking, or
> conditions suggest otherwise. Now I'm one of the first to suggest single
> file with riding mates under certain riding conditions but I believe these
> signs just give real idiots reasons to take things into their own hand.
> I've also had a local up there approach me while having a coffee saying
> "you see, those signs prove cyclists were always breaking the law riding
> two abreast".
>
> I believe that most motorists don't know that cyclists are legally allowed
> to ride two abreast and if more of these signs are posted, it's only going
> to lead to more confusion. bWouldn't have made more sense to have it read
> "Cyclists Single File Next 4 (or 7)K "? At least then it sub-consciously
> has motorists aware that after a certain distance cyclists may be riding
> two abreast once again.
>
> Better still, with the increase in cycling, advertising campagne ( TV
> ads ) is needed to make motorists aware of cycling road rules like two
> abreast , minimum of 1 meter passing a cyclist, etc. Maybe something for
> BV to act on as I personally believe most issues are due to unawareness of
> cyclists rights as a road user.

Sounds like someone needs to get up the 1 in 20 with a big spanner one
night. Illegal road rules deserve to be removed.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@