NEW RECORD MAKING HILL CLIMB at FARGO STREET.......On a UNICYCLE!!!

unigeezer

Oct 1, 2009
NEW RECORD FARGO STREET HILL CLIMB!!!!On a UNICYCLE!

Today I decided to make another attempt at the monster of all climbs: Fargo Street in Los Angeles. It's 33% grade makes it one of the 3 steepest streets in the US! I had doubts since I couldn't seem to get more than about 300 of the 530 total feet. That last half is a killer and it's where most fail. But at the age of 55, I knew it was pretty much knew it was now or never for me! So with my friend Steve's encouragement, I set out to conquer Fargo...on ONE wheel! No gears, no clipless, no extra wheel and handle bars. It would be 1:1 fixed all the way up baby! I had come close in mid/late 2009 when I tried it last, but I lost momentum and fell off. I mounted again and finished, and although it wasn't a successful climb, I was proud of my "almost" attempt.

Today I gave it all I had, to the point where my max heart rate went *beyond* the 165bpm I had figured as my max, to a chest pounding 171! And I had already maxed out by the HALFWAY point! I was running on sheer will power!

I could barely catch breaths, and my lungs were burning so bad I thought they would catch fire! When I heard my buddy Steve shout out, "20 feet left" (He later admitted it was really more like 40 haha) I felt a rush of adrenaline that pushed me over the top!
rockon.gif

I made it to the top of Fargo in 3:02, and it was the greatest feeling...once I convinced myself I wasn't having heart failure! I had originally thought that going with a 20" wheel would be easier, lighter, and turn much easier. I made the decision to stick with my kh 24, with a lighter road tire. It paid off! If I never do it again, at least now I can say, I DID IT! Hope you enjoy.

Congratulations to both you Terry and to Steve. I can only just barely ride a uni on level ground. The very thought of riding one uphill is amazing to me and then you went and did the Fargo Street Hill! WOW!!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Reactions: unigeezer
nice! I don't know how you made it all the way up that, and at age 55 that's crazy. good job.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Congratulations to both you Terry and to Steve. I can only just barely ride a uni on level ground. The very thought of riding one uphill is amazing to me and then you went and did the Fargo Street Hill! WOW!!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Thanks. I still don't know how i made it all the way! Now I need a good week to recover haha!

Originally Posted by JoelTGM .

nice! I don't know how you made it all the way up that, and at age 55 that's crazy. good job.
Thanks Joel. I don;t know how I did it either! probably just my stubborn nature. :)