New rider, buying a bike soon, need some advice...

brianbkny

Apr 26, 2005
I searched a bit on the forums and got some info, just wanted to get some more input. I am 280 pounds and looking for a bike to get into shape. 99% of the riding will be on streets, most of it on a bike path. I'm looking to spend under $400. I also plan on getting a sturdier wheelbase added. I was looking into the following bikes:

Giant Cypress DX
Trek 7300 FX

I couldn't really find anything from Specialized in my price range. If anyone has any input about those bikes or suggestions for any other bikes, please feel free to post any information. If anyone has anyone has some info on a sturdier wheelbase setup, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

brianbkny said:
Giant Cypress DX
Trek 7300 FX
Sorry failed to notice this info.

I feel that Trek always puts out a solid product. Also I would say that if you dont want to spend that much cash you find a good deal on ebay, or the local Classifieds.

I hate to throw cold water on your plans, but most bike makers have a gross (bike and rider) upper weight limit.

Felt, for example:
125kg Bmx, city, cyclocross, trekking, cruisers, MTBs.
105kg Racing and Triathlon.

Best to check with Giant before giving the sales man the money.

I suggest you consider a Cr-Mo frame and not alloy.

i spoke to someone at trek and they said i should have no problems with the 7300 FX, i should just look into a sturdier wheelbase to make it more comfortable.

I have riden the Trek 7500FX, a little upgraded but similar. It is a wonderful hybrid bike and the first time I was on it I rode for 4 hours (with a stop for lunch and not at a high rate of speed as it was for a fun ride). I have not riden the other bike you are looking at but I did enjoy the Trek. In fact i am looking at getting one for my girlfriend.

brianbkny said:
I searched a bit on the forums and got some info, just wanted to get some more input. I am 280 pounds and looking for a bike to get into shape. 99% of the riding will be on streets, most of it on a bike path. I'm looking to spend under $400. I also plan on getting a sturdier wheelbase added. I was looking into the following bikes:

Giant Cypress DX
Trek 7300 FX

I couldn't really find anything from Specialized in my price range. If anyone has any input about those bikes or suggestions for any other bikes, please feel free to post any information. If anyone has anyone has some info on a sturdier wheelbase setup, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

First off...I think its awesome you want to get into cycling. I must say its an awesome sport and quite addictive.

Having said that, I suggest you start out with a Mountain Bike and shed the pounds first, then move over to a Road Bike. I think your experience will be much better considering the current weight you are carrying. I have many friends who have done this and its a great natural progression.

Tailwinds,
Vector7

The major reason I looked into a hybrid bike is because I didn't think I would need all the features of a mountain bike rather then a hybrid. I see that the trek FX hybrid series is aimed at fitness, so it appealed to me more than a mountain bike. The one thing about a mountain bike, would be the tires, should I go for a wider, smoother tire for street and path riding? If anyone has any suggestions on a good mountain bike and more than happy to listen (or read). Thanks!!