New Rider Expectations

MarkInNC

Apr 15, 2007
Hi,
I just got my first bike since I was a kid and that was a long time ago. I spent several weeks talking to people, visiting shops, and looking at internet articals and sites. I started out looking at comfort bikes, moved into hybirds, and finally settled on a modified mountain bike. I think I got a nice bike it is a Trek 6500 and has lots of upgrades.

I had the tires changed from the nobbie tires to smaller slick in the middle and grips on the edges so that I could ride the bike on the road. I will occationally use the bike on dirt roads and paths. The bike as configured now feels more stable to me and is a bit more comfortable as compared to the Trek FX bikes I demoed.

I intend to ride on the road and have been out a couple of times so far. I have also been looking at the website for the local club which has several tours. The club apparently has three groups divided up by touring speed. Here is where my question comes in. I got a computer with my new bike and it seems that my average speed is about 0-15 mph. That is just a riding, not racing, not really pushing myself. Well the club says that the groups are all three way above my average speed now. My real question is can I expect that with a "good" mountain bike configured with road tires that I'll be able to tag along with at least the slow road bikes?

(I posted a similar set of questions over on the mountain bike forum.)

thanks,

Mark

As a beginner cyclist, you should focus on actual ride time and not your average speed. Build up your stamina and skill before attempting a group ride. You didn't specify the "slow group" road bike average speed, so I can't realistically tell you if it's obtainable or not.

In your other post you mention having an upright riding position via riser bars and/or a riser stem. You need to have a more aerodynamic position on the bike to obtain higher speeds. As your body grows more accustomed to cycling, try to adapt a lower riding posture. You will never ride at higher speeds sitting in an upright position.

You also mention being sore and uncomfortable. Although this should be expected as a beginner, here are a few suggestions. If you haven't already - get properly fitted. Also buy some quality padded cycling shorts and gloves. Don't forget a helmet.

On my full suspension mountain bike with 1.4" slicks at 80 psi, riding on a flat course with little wind, I typically maintain average speeds of 19-21 MPH for a 30 mile route. I pass many people on road bikes, but I also get passed by some.

Go here for some invaluable cyclist information:

http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

By the way, I dig the Ghia. In my air cooled days, I owned 3 Beetles, a '71 and (2) '74, and also a '64 Notchback.

Thanks for the information Scotty_Dog,

I was really just looking for information that I was looking in the right ball park. Your ability to maintain 19-21 on a mountain bike with a similar tire to mine at least tells me that someone is able to do what I thought Id like to work up to. You may be miles beyond where I am physically and your bike may be miles faster, but now I know that I am not looking in the wrong direction.

Lots of miles before I get there, I know.

Yes, I was fitted, am just experimenting now. I have to go back and pick up some shoes that will clip into my pedals. I do have ridding shorts, (but have not tried them yet), and I do have a helmet.

thanks,

Mark

Scotty_Dog said:
As a beginner cyclist, you should focus on actual ride time and not your average speed. Build up your stamina and skill before attempting a group ride. You didn't specify the "slow group" road bike average speed, so I can't realistically tell you if it's obtainable or not.

In your other post you mention having an upright riding position via riser bars and/or a riser stem. You need to have a more aerodynamic position on the bike to obtain higher speeds. As your body grows more accustomed to cycling, try to adapt a lower riding posture. You will never ride at higher speeds sitting in an upright position.

You also mention being sore and uncomfortable. Although this should be expected as a beginner, here are a few suggestions. If you haven't already - get properly fitted. Also buy some quality padded cycling shorts and gloves. Don't forget a helmet.

On my full suspension mountain bike with 1.4" slicks at 80 psi, riding on a flat course with little wind, I typically maintain average speeds of 19-21 MPH for a 30 mile route. I pass many people on road bikes, but I also get passed by some.

Go here for some invaluable cyclist information:

http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

By the way, I dig the Ghia. In my air cooled days, I owned 3 Beetles, a '71 and (2) '74, and also a '64 Notchback.

MarkInNC said:
Hi,
I just got my first bike since I was a kid and that was a long time ago. I spent several weeks talking to people, visiting shops, and looking at internet articals and sites. I started out looking at comfort bikes, moved into hybirds, and finally settled on a modified mountain bike. I think I got a nice bike it is a Trek 6500 and has lots of upgrades.

I had the tires changed from the nobbie tires to smaller slick in the middle and grips on the edges so that I could ride the bike on the road. I will occationally use the bike on dirt roads and paths. The bike as configured now feels more stable to me and is a bit more comfortable as compared to the Trek FX bikes I demoed.

I intend to ride on the road and have been out a couple of times so far. I have also been looking at the website for the local club which has several tours. The club apparently has three groups divided up by touring speed. Here is where my question comes in. I got a computer with my new bike and it seems that my average speed is about 0-15 mph. That is just a riding, not racing, not really pushing myself. Well the club says that the groups are all three way above my average speed now. My real question is can I expect that with a "good" mountain bike configured with road tires that I'll be able to tag along with at least the slow road bikes?
FWIW. I recommend you show up for ONE ride with the local club (it's free to ride, isn't it?).

If you get dropped and no one feels like waiting for you at some point up the road, you will know that there probably isn't anyone amongst those people with whom you would want to ride with in the future even if your average speed was as fast as their's.

If one/some of the riders in the slowest group pause to encourage you, then you will know -- regardless of how quickly/slowly you are on your current bike -- whether you should consider adding a ROAD specific bike to your stable.

MarkInNC said:
Hi,
My real question is can I expect that with a "good" mountain bike configured with road tires that I'll be able to tag along with at least the slow road bikes?
One thing you might try is to do a rec ride like a century or a half century. There won't be any pressure to ride fast, and you will get to see the range of fitness of other riders and how you compare.

If you want to do further modifications you can switch the cassette with a road cassette so you have tighter gearing; it will be easier to find a gear that gives a good cadence.