New Rider - Just Got My First Bicycle....

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by Edudbor, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Edudbor

Edudbor New Member

I'm pretty pumped. I figured I'd ride into work (11 miles) Mon/Wed/Fri. I'll give myself a week or so to build up, then I'm planning on hitting the roads...

But after reading this forum, I'm really not sure I want to. Does anyone have any hard data on the likelyhood of a serious injury for every bicycle mile ridden vs. every car mile driven?

I just want to save myself some time at the gym, riding to work would kill two birds with one stone; but form what I'm reading here it sounds like it might not be worth it. Is it just that people rarely post about all their perfectly safe trips?

Tags:

2. e0richt

e0richt New Member

I think you answered it yourself... it basically is similar to news, "whatever bleeds, leads!"...

3. NickInNC

NickInNC New Member

Yeah I actually fedel pretty confident when I ride that I will be safe. sure I have had a couple of small incidents but honestly overall I feel safer on a bike then when I am in a car. I live in a county with the highest vehicle accident rates in the whole great state of North Carolina. But when I ride I ride on some pretty busy streets and I take up most of the lane and well I feel good that I am safe. You will get some stares and some people the honk but that is part of the fun for me. I love to piss off society!