New rider looking for a computer

Bigfish713

Jan 15, 2016
I recently picked up a new bike a trek fx7.3 and would like to get a computer for it. I am looking at the garmin edge 25 with speed/cadence. Last year I was using my phone with the map my ride app and it worked for me but used too much data. Now I just picked up a trainer to train in my basement and would like to keep track of my workout inside. The app is based off gps and since I am not moving is no help. Does anyone use the edge 25 and how do you like it. Or should I be looking at another computer.

I mostly use my phone for my computer needs and it works so I'm happy with it, but if yours is using too much data then I would consider getting a computer.

You seem to be on the right track with Garmin as they look to be the brand to go for for cycling computers. I would suggest to have a look at a few models and weight up their pros & cons as well as the price.

Good Luck! :)

For indoor training something like a Cateye Wireless would provide basic time/speed/distance numbers. For the road a GPS computer is a better tool if you want elevation data and maps.

I've used the Cateye Stealth 50, the Garmin 510 and for the last couple of weeks the Garmin 520. The 520 is supposed to be less prone to freezes, reboots and the dumb **** the 510 had...just a very few number of times, but frustrating none the less. We'll see how it goes over the next few months...

The 520 has the added map feature that the 510 does not. Well, you can put a map on a 510, but the processor is so slow and the physical memory of the device so small as to render it nearly useless.

I downloaded some OpenStreetMap tiles for my riding area and the map is well detailed and other than the small display/screen size of the computer I find it a useable and welcome feature for navigating around roads new to me or areas I have not yet ridden.

Garmin, no matter what device you end up with in their lineup, is the devil. But, it's a devil I have learned to live with. They regularly release products that are buggy and then rely on the public to diagnose and ***** about them, then fix them through software/firmware updates. They had the 510's issues pretty well resolved by the time they discontinued it and put the 520 on the market.

My advice is get a Garmin and a spare set of speed and cadence sensors for your trainer and skip the old style bike computers. GPS is King of the Road.

I don't know whether they still make the Garmin 500, but I've had mine for awhile, and it keeps on chugging. Not as many bells and whistles as the 510 and 520, but it gives me speed, distance, elapsed time, time of day, and if I wanted to wear a HRM, it would give me power output. Those are just the basic functions. You can change the display, and program routes. But since I know where I'm going almost everywhere around here, I don't usually pre-program my rides.

I don't know whether they still make the Garmin

Of course not.

It was too simple and reliable. No...they just had to release the 510 pile-o-problems just so they could offer the craptastic and phone-like Touch Screen. That only took twelve 'taps' to get it to change screen. Or freeze up...whichever was more inconvenient.

And then...

The released the 520 and completely stopped supporting both the 500 and the 510.

Actually, Garmin did get most of the bugs worked out of the 510 just before they released the 520. If they could pack all of the 1000 into the size of the 520 I would buy one of those, too.

I really want to like Garmin Edge units, but they are as buggy as any electronic product out there these days. Hell, just this morning I bought my THIRD dehumidifier in the last 6 years. Great track record for quality, huh? And I doubt this one goes three years. It's all crappy Chicom junk (and G.E. just sold the appliance division to Haier??? God help us!). My first was a Soleus Air that burned houses down. Don't believe me? Google it. That took a class action lawsuit to resolve and I got my money back. That bought me another Chinese junker that lasted a couple of years before going tits up. Extended product replacement warranties are our only hope...

Back to Chinese computers for the bike...

The 520 does give you mapping, if not turn-by-turn navigation...yet. It still lacks memory card capability and for what reason Garmin doesn't build it in I have no clue. I will say that in Winter gloves the touch screen 510 is easier to use than the ****ing SEVEN button 520. Those buttons are small and take some decent pressure to accuate. With heavily padded or multiple glove layers it can be next to impossible to use the buttons.

The 500 was fairly solid. The 510 suffered a history of problems both resolved and unresolved. We'll see how the 520 does as Spring comes and goes.

I tried to like my Cateye Stealth 50 as I had great luck and good life from the several Cateye Strada Wireless units I had and still have. The Stealth was fairly solid and the features were 'almost' there. Sadly, the interface to the PC and Cateye's Atlas website were not up to snuff. I only managed to force myself to use it for about 9 months before I gave up in frustration and bought the Edge 510. My frustration continued...