New rider looking for a road bike under $700

afk94

May 13, 2013
I'm a college student who wants to start cycling, so its a given that I don't have much money. I'd like to spend below $700 on a road bike that will be used for recreation and fitness. The $700 is just for the bike, it wouldn't include pedals or shoes or anything else. Any suggestions? The two brands I've been looking at are Hasa and Diamondback. Anyone have any experience with either of those brands?

Under $700, the GT GTR 5 gives you a lot of bike for the money. Decent Taiwan-made frame, mix of Microshift and 2300 components (with the usual Tektro brakes on cheap bikes), Schwalbe Lugano tires, and a carbon blade fork (most under $700 bikes come with alloy forks). The wheels will be cheap Jalco or Alex but any bike that runs under say $1000 will have pretty crappy wheels.

You can probably pick up a Trek 1.1 or the base model Specialized Allez for under $700 too, if you haggle a bit.

Look at some leftover 2012 close-outs, too. You might be able to move up to a 9 speed Sora group, instead of 8 speed 2300.

If you're new to biking, Shimano drive trains, in ascending order of quality and price, are 2300, Sora,.Tiagra, 105 Ultegra, and Dura Ace. 2300 is 8 speed, Sora 9, Tiagra, 105 and 2013 Ultegra are 10, and Dura-Ace (and the 2014 version of Ultegra) 11 speeds. Microshift shifters will work with Shimano derailleurs, so some bikes will give you 8 or 9 speed Microshift. I actually prefer them to 2300 and Sora.

If you're not in a hurry, check craigslist in your area...I got my Felt AR4 for about half off, only 500 miles on the bike...