New rider looking for advice

otiosity

Oct 12, 2014
I'm fairly new to cycling. I've been using an old department store bike for ~10 mile rides over the past year. The gearing wasn't great for the hills around here, and the brakes finally gave out. Repairs were quoted to cost more than the bike itself, so I've been looking to upgrade. I'm planning to ride about 15 miles a day in the beginning, hopefully working up to regular 50+ mile rides in the future. I'll be riding on pavement, and I'd like the bike to handle year-round weather conditions in addition to our hills. The two features I've convinced myself I'd like are drop bars (based on ride length) and disc brakes (based on PNW weather). My price point is about $1100, and the two models that seem the best fits at the moment are the Novara Strada and the Fuji Sportif 1.1

Am I on the right track? Are there any other options I could consider? If not, is there a clear winner between these two models?

Thanks very much for your help!

FWIW. I don't know if you are on the right track, or not ...
  • But, between the two, I would buy the Novara Strada from REI ... While a "Thru Axle" is probably not as important on a Rigid Fork as it is on a Suspension Fork, it is probably better to have one than not ...
If you aren't a Coop member, then it's worth joining OR use someone else's membership number so they can receive the rebate.

BTW. Let me restate that as ...
  • "Thru Axles" are marginally better when you have disc brakes ...
BUT, people certainly survived for years with disc brakes & Suspension Forks without "Thru Axles."

Ah, I see. I'd read a bit about thru axles, and I got much the same impression - nice to have on a road bike, but by no means required. Thanks so much for your input!

the brand which is good depend on your cost, if the bike is satisfied with your cost ,you can choose this one .

Let me make sure I heard this clear, you want to work up to ride 50 miles per day? hmmmm, I think you worded that incorrectly because that would you put at 36,000 miles a year if you only ride 5 days a week, but even if you do say 10,000 to 13,000 miles a year (which is pro race training level) a $1100 bike will probably last you 2 years at best before the components start to shut down on you. I would be looking at bikes with Shimano 105, 105 is the workhorse of the Shimano line, design to last a long time.

Before I forget, that is just my opinion.

If for some strange insane reason you like my opinion then go back out to LBS's and try some more bikes with 105 groupset and come back with a new set of options. If mail order bikes don't scare you and you live in the USA or have a friend in the USA who could forward you the bike then you could take a gander at this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kestrel/road-bikes/kestrel-legend-105-road_bikes_bucks.htm OR if you want a bike that will last virtually forever then take a gander at this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_ti_10.htm

i am new to cycling and need a faster bike other than my MTB. someone just gave me a centurion road bike all the gears work just fine cranks ect.... just the tires and tubes are rotted out and need replacing. it seems to be a higher end centurion it has all shimano componets but the cranks are the 400lx series not the 600lx. basically what im getting at should i spend the 600$ get me a very low level modern road bike or should i just slap some tires on this centurion and be done with it? please help

Originally Posted by btsdrummer8
i am new to cycling and need a faster bike other than my MTB. someone just gave me a centurion road bike all the gears work just fine cranks ect.... just the tires and tubes are rotted out and need replacing. it seems to be a higher end centurion it has all shimano componets but the cranks are the 400lx series not the 600lx. basically what im getting at should i spend the 600$ get me a very low level modern road bike or should i just slap some tires on this centurion and be done with it? please help
I would slap some closeout (deep discount sale) tires on it and be done with it. Centurion made fine bicycles and if you take care of it it will last longer than most new bikes made today no matter the cost!

Does the Centurion have 27" or 700c tires? Make sure ahead of time if you order online. You have more options with 700c today, but most places will have a small selection of 27" ones. Put new rubber on it, maybe new brake pads, ride the hell out of it, and start saving for a new ride, and then keep the Centurion as your back-up/bad weather ride. You can't beat free, and a decent free bike is a deal.

Even if the bike only accepts 27" tires, which if my much faded memory is working I believe the high end Centurions came with 700c, regardless there are a few high quality 27" road tires on the market; Continental has several, the Gatorskin, or the tougher Gator Hardshell, Super Sport Plus, and Ultra Sport; Vittoria has the highly rated but budget tire called the Zaffiro. There is also quite a few high quality 27" touring tires too but those don't belong on this bike.

You can also install a presta valve 700c 28-32mm tube (which will standardize the tube) by simply buying a Schrader to Presta rim adapter, see: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7716&category=199 Installation is easy, simply peel back the rim tape, or replace it since it's probably old anyways, install the grommet and put the tape back over the grommet to hold it in place.