New Rider Needs Advice!!! Help!

QuentonCassidy

Mar 9, 2010
I've just gotten into road biking over the past month. My biggest concern is deciding which roads would be considered "too busy" to ride on. How do all of you experienced cyclists make this judgment? Do most cyclists stick to country-type roads? Is a two-lane state road a path you would advise against? Thanks for any help you can give me! I want to become a knowledgeable rider!

QuentonCassidy said:
I've just gotten into road biking over the past month. My biggest concern is deciding which roads would be considered "too busy" to ride on. How do all of you experienced cyclists make this judgment? Do most cyclists stick to country-type roads? Is a two-lane state road a path you would advise against? Thanks for any help you can give me! I want to become a knowledgeable rider!
I don't know where you are from, but in the US, bicycles may be legally ridden on all roads except for limitted access roads. Limitted access roads are roads that have on ramps and exit ramps like an interstate highway.

You generally have to abide by all the same traffic laws as a motor vehicle, and there are also laws that pertain specifically to bikes, such as riding as far to the right as practicle. These laws vary from state to state so you will need to check on the laws for your own locality.

For your own safety considering that you are a new rider with limitted experience, you might want to start out with less busy roads or bicycle trails until you are confident with your bicycle handling skills. Once you have this down, then venture on to slightly busier roads, and build up as you gain confidence.

An excellent resource for you would be a cycling club if there is one in your area. They usually have organized rides specifically for less experienced riders. And riding in a group is safer than riding alone. Good luck.