New rider nervous about clipless pedals

As stated earlier, falling, while not mandatory, is an occupational hazard. I feel once at my road gate, loads of cars passing saw me. Had a few near misses too. But all the above advice will help, and practice before you hit the roads. Eventually you won't even notice the clips.

a clipless fall is usually a slow speed fall, so nothing to really be worried about anyways
but the fall will usually be because a change of mind or loss of concentration eg slowing down to talk to a pedestrian and focusing on the pedestrian and not remembering to unclip
so its better to just remember to unclip once you have to stop beforehand

halfpint said:
Thanks to everyone who responded with advice and information. It's apparent nobody thinks I need to get pedals that have a flat pedal on one side and the clip-in on the other, so I will get the M520s and take my chances! Great advice about turning the handlebars....I'll try that. And although I will practice tons, my main concern about falling is that I have osteopenia (early osteoporosis) and with my luck I'll instinctively stick my arm out to break my fall if I can't get unclipped in time and break something else instead! But I'd rather ride like the "big girls" and give clipless a shot, especially when I rike around Lake Tahoe next month. I'll need all the help I can get going up those hillls...I appreciate all of your responses....thanks!
Also to help you to get unclipped easily, you may want to not only start out with the tension light but also consider multi-release cleats. Both the SM-SH55 and the SM-SH56 cleats alow to unclip in more than one direction. The 51's and 52's are more restrictive allowing only one foot movement to get unclipped

halfpint said:
Thanks to everyone who responded with advice and information. It's apparent nobody thinks I need to get pedals that have a flat pedal on one side and the clip-in on the other, so I will get the M520s and take my chances! Great advice about turning the handlebars....I'll try that. And although I will practice tons, my main concern about falling is that I have osteopenia (early osteoporosis) and with my luck I'll instinctively stick my arm out to break my fall if I can't get unclipped in time and break something else instead! But I'd rather ride like the "big girls" and give clipless a shot, especially when I rike around Lake Tahoe next month. I'll need all the help I can get going up those hillls...I appreciate all of your responses....thanks!
If you know you are going to be stopping, unclip the curb-side shoe/foot SEVERAL FEET BEFORE the point where you are planning to stop (e.g., an intersection) ... it's a good idea, IMO to get used to unclippng & leaning in a consistent direction, when possible.

BTW. Pedals with a regular/flat side have their place ...

A couple of years ago, a friend told me that Jacquie Phelan (WOMBATS, etc.) still prefers to use toe clips -- I think that Phelan would still be considered one of the "big girls."

djwhyte said:
No, no. If you're anything like me, you kind of roll into the fall. I held on to the handlebars in an effort to protect my bike and it didn't hurt a bit. Infact, it would have been a brilliant parachute landing :)
LOL - love it! PLFing off a bike!!
never thought of it that way!
i landed [off my bike] like a regulation 'breakfall' from a completely different sport.

although stuffing a parachute landing is now why i'm riding instead of jumping.
let's just say that i have a VERY health respect for how hard the ground is now...

RussB said:
Also to help you to get unclipped easily, you may want to not only start out with the tension light but also consider multi-release cleats. Both the SM-SH55 and the SM-SH56 cleats alow to unclip in more than one direction. The 51's and 52's are more restrictive allowing only one foot movement to get unclipped
Good to know. Thanks....

alfeng said:
If you know you are going to be stopping, unclip the curb-side shoe/foot SEVERAL FEET BEFORE the point where you are planning to stop (e.g., an intersection) ... it's a good idea, IMO to get used to unclippng & leaning in a consistent direction, when possible.

BTW. Pedals with a regular/flat side have their place ...

A couple of years ago, a friend told me that Jacquie Phelan (WOMBATS, etc.) still prefers to use toe clips -- I think that Phelan would still be considered one of the "big girls."
Good advice, especially unclipping curb-side. I'll get in the habit....

halfpint said:
Good to know. Thanks....
Yeah, I'm a COMPLETELY new cyclist and I went ahead and bought clipless almost from the get-go. I love them.

The only times I've fallen, honestly, have been in the driveway. I clipped my right foot in and pedaled once, but didn't get my left in in time, panicked, and just fell over from a dead stop. It probably looked hilarious. Thank goodness nobody was looking! It's rather embarrassing, but painless, unless you take your sense of pride into consideration. :)

Oh--another time, my dog was trying to follow me up the driveway as I pedaled out of it--this being, maybe, the sixth time I'd ever ridden with clipless pedals. She was walking slowly and just walked in front of the bike as though I wasn't coming. Again, only my right foot was in and I was on the downstroke, preparing to clip my left foot in, but I stopped without unclipping my foot and just fell over. On top of the poor dog. (She's a big lab, so she was okay, haha.) She yelped and once again, my pride was hurt, but apparently I'm in good company with my stopping and falling! Glad to know I'm not the only klutz around here :) It's really not that bad though, especially once you get going. And the clips REALLY help on hills, as other posters have said. The pulling up really makes a difference.

Like others have said, unclip well before a stop--and PUT A DIFFERENT PART OF YOUR FOOT ONTO THE PEDALS so you don't clip back in accidentally. That's what I've been doing, and I haven't fallen except those first few times.

I do have a question for you more experienced riders out there though--my concern is sort of along the lines of halfpints': what if I'm heading up a hill and I can't keep the bike going, but I'm still in the pedals? I've unclipped my feet before while still pedaling--even standing on the pedals on tough hills--and I was wondering if that's safe for my pedals/cleats. I figure unclipping is unclipping, right? Am I going to hurt my equipment if I keep doing that? (Not that it happens often...but once in awhile, I feel safer out of the clips, even if it means I have to unclip in mid-hill.)

I've fallen three times because of my clipless pedals.

All were my own stupid fault!

First time was first day out. My DH and I ride together and we came to a traffic island. I was looking for traffic and DH stopped short in front of me without yelling that he was braking. I look forward and he is stopped right in front of me. I came to a stop and fell right over! Brusied hand, hip and scraped elbow. Severly hurt ego.

Next time was because someone was stopped right in the middle of the bike trail, at a T intersection, as as I came up to them I was going to try and go around but there was another cyclist coming across the top of the T. I had to stop short and down I went. BUT I fell onto the dumb person in the middle of the bike path (instant karma)! The coming cyclist stopped to make sure I was okay and we both yelled at the dummy in the bike path.

Last time was coming to a stop. I usually unclip the left side when I think there might be a chance that I need to stop, if I'm going uphill and want to make sure I'm not going to go so slow I can't maintain balance or when I just feel uncertain about the coming terrain etc. Well, we were coming to a stop and I unclipped the left side and went to put my heel on the pedal and ended up clipping right back in! I looked at my DH and yelled 'AGAIN' as I went down! That was at mile 25 of a 60 and had to ride the rest of the way with a brusied hand. I got gloves finally. Hate having sweaty hands, but hate having hurting hands more.

I did go get pedals that clip on one side and platform on the other. Even if I only use the platform once and never again (will only install on the left side, BTW) just having it will give me piece of mind and confidence.

I'm not advocating one over the other (I have SPD slips and Shimano shoes that I LOVE) clips to dual, but I think just having the option will make me better.

BTW, a rider friend said he used to train people on clipless when he was working in a bike shop by doing this: Sit on the bike, in the grass, blindfolded.
Have someone you love/trust hold the handlbars and gently tip the bike side to side. You clip out on the side the bike is tipping. They never let go, just tip. You practice cliping out quickly and I'm told that within an hour of doing this you will never fall because of not being able to unclip.
I haven't tried this yet. Not sure if I love/trust DH enough for this :).

So, there you have my story.
Good luck to you!

Ginny in Denver
05 Specialized Comp

imagesinthewind said:
I've fallen three times because of my clipless pedals.

All were my own stupid fault!

First time was first day out. My DH and I ride together and we came to a traffic island. I was looking for traffic and DH stopped short in front of me without yelling that he was braking. I look forward and he is stopped right in front of me. I came to a stop and fell right over! Brusied hand, hip and scraped elbow. Severly hurt ego.

Next time was because someone was stopped right in the middle of the bike trail, at a T intersection, as as I came up to them I was going to try and go around but there was another cyclist coming across the top of the T. I had to stop short and down I went. BUT I fell onto the dumb person in the middle of the bike path (instant karma)! The coming cyclist stopped to make sure I was okay and we both yelled at the dummy in the bike path.

Last time was coming to a stop. I usually unclip the left side when I think there might be a chance that I need to stop, if I'm going uphill and want to make sure I'm not going to go so slow I can't maintain balance or when I just feel uncertain about the coming terrain etc. Well, we were coming to a stop and I unclipped the left side and went to put my heel on the pedal and ended up clipping right back in! I looked at my DH and yelled 'AGAIN' as I went down! That was at mile 25 of a 60 and had to ride the rest of the way with a brusied hand. I got gloves finally. Hate having sweaty hands, but hate having hurting hands more.

I did go get pedals that clip on one side and platform on the other. Even if I only use the platform once and never again (will only install on the left side, BTW) just having it will give me piece of mind and confidence.

I'm not advocating one over the other (I have SPD slips and Shimano shoes that I LOVE) clips to dual, but I think just having the option will make me better.

BTW, a rider friend said he used to train people on clipless when he was working in a bike shop by doing this: Sit on the bike, in the grass, blindfolded.
Have someone you love/trust hold the handlbars and gently tip the bike side to side. You clip out on the side the bike is tipping. They never let go, just tip. You practice cliping out quickly and I'm told that within an hour of doing this you will never fall because of not being able to unclip.
I haven't tried this yet. Not sure if I love/trust DH enough for this :).

So, there you have my story.
Good luck to you!

Ginny in Denver
05 Specialized Comp
Thanks for the stories.....

Olden Crow said:
Some people like buying at LBS, some via internet.

I happen to favor online if can save some money, but everybody has there own way of shopping...

Anyway, Probikekit.com has the M520 for 31.99 and there's never taxes nor postage fee to the USA. My Ultegra 6610 pedal cost $75 there, instead of $146 at Performance as an example.
BlueSkyCycling has the M540 for ~$53 + $8 shipping -- for those that want all silver and think -28g is worth $20!

I find the technique of placing the foot your going to click out of at 3 o'clock (right foot) or 9 o'clock (left foot), before clicking out, helpful. The extra leverage applied helps add force to the ankle twist and makes it much easier to get out.

halfpint said:

I'll add my thanks to this group. I am going clipless soon after many years with toe clips. My last two falls landed, pun intended, me in medical centers. So, yes, I am a bit nervous myself.

daleb116 said:
I'll add my thanks to this group. I am going clipless soon after many years with toe clips. My last two falls landed, pun intended, me in medical centers. So, yes, I am a bit nervous myself.
haha I"m also going clipless for the first time. I haven't ridden a road bike in 4 years to add to the drama. also I"ve only ridden a road bike 3 times in my life as I"ve always owned a mountain bike. My Look Keo's just came through the mail and waiting on my sidi ergo shoes but I"m confident enough that I won't fall so easily. I am going to spend one night watching TV while on my bike clipping in and out to get used to it so I undersand how it really works.

I am typing this with my hands, not my feet. Years ago how easy and natural it all seemed, when suddenly threatened in city traffic, to just reach down and barely brush the strap buckle with back of fingertips. Instant disconnect even when very tightly strapped in. At least out of those traditional narrowly tapered European shoes I always had my slotted bicycle cleats attached to. The problem was that I now had only one foot free (UH OH and running out of time :eek:...).