New rider, old man... no base fitness...

KenpoSuzuki

Jan 9, 2011
I'm a disabled veteran, and just pulled the plug and placed a Fuji Roubaix on layaway. Should have it in my hands by my birthday (April). I have pretty much zero fitness base and am looking to try and get into shape to ride for fitness and enjoyment. My goal is to get into good enought shape to do a half century within the year and to eventually go on a century ride with my younger brother (15yrs my junior). I have no idea how to put together any sort of training plan. I will start my training on my mountain bike and move to the Fuji when it is paid off. I have most evenings mon- friday a block of 3 hrs available for training. and every other weekend I can dedicate a whole day to training... I currently am 5'8" tall and weigh in at 225lbs. I was injured in the military in 2001 and it resulted in surgeries on my ankle, knee and lower back. I have been cleared by my Doctors to begin a cycling program and am excited to start... I would welcome any suggestions on how proceed....

Thanks!

Beau

Howdy

Good for you for taking up bike riding - it's a great sport and pastime.

When you get the new bike make sure it's set up to fit you well else you could injure yourself - there is lots of information on the web about how to fit a bike so it might be worth doing a little reading to get some ideas.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about "training". The best thing for you is to just get out and ride to get some miles in so your body can get used to the motions. If you can manage it, I'd start with 8 - 10 miles taking it pretty easy. As your body adapts you'll get faster and then you can add a few more miles. Build your mileage slowly so you don't hurt yourself - you also don't want to overdo it.

You seem rather heavy for your size to me so I'm guessing that you also need to lose weight. Biking will help but paying attention to your diet will help more. You'll find that as your weight comes down your speed and ability to do longer distances will go up. Plus the hills will all get flatter.

A half-century is pretty easy so you should be able to do that no problems once your body is adapted. Just hang in there and don't overdo it at the beginning else you'll either hurt yourself or put yourself off riding.

Good luck.

I usually have advise for new riders, but jimbo really nailed it, so +1 on absolutely everything he said. Just go out there and ride. You will probably be surprised by how quickly the untrained body responds to even just a little riding.

Welcome to the forums. Good Luck with your cycling and keep us posted of your progress.

Firstly, thank you for the sacrafice you made for your country. I agree with the comments on riding and bike fit that others commented on earlier. I also wanted to reinforce to you how good cycling is for fitness. After over a year just working out in the gym (weights and elliptical) and a little mountain bike riding in the neighborhood, I decided road cycling might help with fitness and be more fun. I'm 51, not a racer, merely a guy who wants to stay in condition while eating ice cream and drinking wine :). Before cycling, my workouts used approx 3500 calories a week according to my Polar Heart Rate Monitor. I know those things aren't that accurate, but I use the same watch cycling, and my weekly workout consumption went to 6500-8000 calories per week. I lost a little weight while actually increasing my ice cream intake! My point is: stay with it and you will find it a great and enjoyable way to increase fitness. Perhaps stay off the ice cream until you reach your weight target:(

I'm can't tell where you are located, but if the weather permits, get those miles in. If you can ride a bit every other day, and if your injuries permit, you'll be able to get the half century in within a month. The Century isn't as tough as you think, either.

One last point. I really found the book below very helpful for understanding the mechanics and physiology behind cycling. Lots of good information here. You'll find it on Amazon.

The Complete Book of Road Cycling & Racing
Peveler, Willard

One step, or rather revolution, at a time. As others have said, you may be surprised how fast things move along ... at first. There will be plateaus and hills. Just try to be consistent.