New rider to the forum.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by PineTar, Mar 9, 2013.

1. PineTar

PineTar New Member

Hi all, glad to be here.

Introductions have never been my strong suit, but I'll give it a try. I'm 27, and I live in Southwestern Tennessee and at one time I would ride for hours on end, sometimes up to 16 hours on Saturday as I grew up very poor and we couldn't afford more costly entertainment. That was a little over twenty years ago, and now I'm an obese heart patient who needs to sit less and cycle more. Back in the day nobody in my family rode so the task was on me to teach myself. I learned how to ride without dying by pushing off with my feet and getting the speed up and then pedaling hard. As you might guess, I learned to ride with the saddle extremely low and never grew comfortable with the saddle as high as most people prefer. As my bike is setup right now, the bottom of my stroke leaves about an inch of stride length left. I can't touch the ground from the saddle, so I've become somewhat traditional, though I still have a lot of weight in the saddle. My knees seem to prefer more saddle weight, especially with my weight. (I've lost 85lbs so far, I have another 80 to go if I intend to live five years.)

On the personal side I have a good sense of humor and tend to goof off more than I probably should. I make my living as a typist, and I'm neither married nor cursed with those little wet things (I think they're called 'children'?) My bike is a worn out roadmaster junker that I took from the junkyard for seven dollars. While some here have suggested I return it to its former home, I enjoy it and am having a lot of fun tinkering with it in addition to riding. I've always enjoyed mechanical things, so it's like a giant malfunction I can repair and tweak. If I were more interested with going far or fast, I'd likely spring for something more costly, but I'm having fun pumping my legs with the fifteen speed and burning some fat.

That's me in a nutshell. I've got enough questions to keep this forum going for a year or two, and I hope to someday learn enough to share with new members in the future.

PineTar.

Tags:

2. Gladys Kravitz

Gladys Kravitz New Member

I just found this site. I hope that me and my boyfriend Bobby will fit in.

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

16 hours in one day... was it some kind of race across america competition ?

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Riders are on their bikes much more than 16 hrs a day in RAAM.

5. PineTar

PineTar New Member

Nope, just a kid with nothing to do and many acres of woods to explore. :)

qdc15 likes this.