New rims?

dthompson

Oct 1, 2004
The rims that came with my Giant bike indicate that they should be replaced when the X wears away. On one side of the rim the X is completely gone but still present on the other. Does this rim still have life left in it?

dthompson said:
The rims that came with my Giant bike indicate that they should be replaced when the X wears away. On one side of the rim the X is completely gone but still present on the other. Does this rim still have life left in it?

Run your finger over the braking surface. If it feels concave, probably time to replace.

If it is indeed worn through the X, I would replace. Just because one side is still good, you could have a blowout on the thin side.

Is it possible something just called the "X" to your attention now, and there never was one on both sides? Otherwise I would agree with John, you do generally need both sides of your tire to stay on the rim not just one.:D

What about rims with a black-painted groove in the center of the machined braking surface? My Velomax Circuit wheels have these, as well as another set of Alex rims. But, no instructions or warning came with the wheels, so I have no idea if the groove is intended to be a replacement wear indicator.

If these are wear indicators, does the manufacturer specify that the rims must be changed when the grooves disappear? Or, is it safe to continue to run them until they appear concave? Would hate to toss out a good wheel early, but waiting until the tire bead pops off doesn't seem to be a smart strategy either :)

dhk2 said:
What about rims with a black-painted groove in the center of the machined braking surface? My Velomax Circuit wheels have these, as well as another set of Alex rims. But, no instructions or warning came with the wheels, so I have no idea if the groove is intended to be a replacement wear indicator.

If these are wear indicators, does the manufacturer specify that the rims must be changed when the grooves disappear? Or, is it safe to continue to run them until they appear concave? Would hate to toss out a good wheel early, but waiting until the tire bead pops off doesn't seem to be a smart strategy either :)
AFAIK, the groove IS the wear indicator ... so, while you may be able to get many more miles/years of use from the rim, it's probably a good time to lace another rim onto that hub.

N.B. This is still a "free country" so you don't have to do anything if you don't want to other than obey the Federal, State & Municipal laws ... there are no rim-police who will check your bike before you go or a ride.