new road bike (approx. $1200)

dbleoh7

Jun 5, 2006
I am looking to buy a new road bike, and don't want to go with a used one because of the problems that can happen. I am looking to spend no more than $1400. I am used to mountain biking, but moved to a flatter part of the state where there aren't many trails, so now i would like to get a road bike. what's the difference between a double, triple, etc. i am very new to the whole road bike thing. anyone have suggestions on what brand/model to get? also, what's the difference between a normal road bike and a time trial bike? before with mountain biking i always road specialized, but someone told me cannondale is the best for road???

The difference between a double and a triple is the number of chainrings. The double has two and the triple has three (for more gears, it adds a set of lower gears for hills). A normal road bike is a bike that is suited for racing, or all-purpose road riding. A time trial bike is a specialized bike made for aerodynamics and all out speed, it typically has aerobars for the stretched out position to cut through the wind. Unless you are planning on doing time trials, you don't need that kind of bike. As for the bikes in your price range, you are looking at the Trek 1500, Cannondale R700, Specialized Allez Elite, and Giant TCR2 (I think). The Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized come in either double or triple (unsure of the Giant). I ride a Cannondale R700, so I am biased. But the Trek and Cannondale are traditional frames, whereas the Specialized and Giant are compact frames (the frames are smaller). All I can say is test ride them and go with the bike that feels best.