New Road Bike for Commuting, Competitive Bike Racing, and Triathlons

Bryce Klein

Apr 27, 2011
I am looking for a new road bike that is full carbon, and has at least an Ultegra 6700 level group. I've read the magazines, watched videos, and tried a few out at the local shops.

My price range is about $3000-$4000 for a factory bike package + pedals, shoes, component upgrade swaps, and all other accessories with an absolute max of $6500 all said and done.

So far I have ridden...
- Trek Madone 5.2 (Thought it was a good value, but not very stylish)
- Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra and Compact (Favorite that I've ridden so far and best feel with a 56cm frame)
- Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra (Thought it was a good value, but not flashy enough)

I have also considered...
- Bianchi Infinito Ultegra and Athena (Heard that it's not very aggressive and the Athena package is way over priced)
- Bianchi Sempre Ultegra (Heard that it's a good option, but not as good as the Tarmac)
- Pinarello FP Quattro Athena (Very few reviews and no videos of it in action, but it is still the one that I think I want the most)

Let me know if there are others that you recommend or if you have information on the FP Quattro, because I am very interested in that. Also, where would you recommend buying it (online or at the only local shop, which would have to order it)?

You need to ride it first. Drive out of your way somewhere to a store that has one in stock. The last thing you want is to order it, then hop on when it arrives and feel nonplussed about it. If your LBS loves you they might hold it and try to sell it to someone else, but more than likely they'll either not care for you too much any more, or you'll tale home a bike you don't love.

Reactions: Bryce Klein
I'm concerned about that. There is a local shop that is willing to bring it in for me, but I need to put 50% down that I cannot get back. If I don't like it, they will apply 100% of that 50% down to any other bike I want. Once I order it through them, I am, most nearly, committed to them. I don't want to ******** the LBS, but it is one of very few options. Also, it's very difficult to find dealers close to St. Paul, MN that have Pinarello in stock because Pinarello lists Gita as the only US shop and that is pretty far away from me.

Right now, I am strongly considering GloryCycles.com because they will customize the bike to my specifications. Only drawback is the 15% restocking fee that cannot be applied to any future purchase. Aside from that, Glory is looking like it will be the best price all said and done, plus I get the exact color that I want and all the components I want already on it. They still haven't quoted me a price, but I'm expecting one fairly soon.

I am trying very hard to find a shop that has one in stock and is not too far away but have been unsuccessful. If anyone knows of a shop with a 56 cm Pinarello FP Quattro in stock and is near St. Paul, MN, please let me know.

Check this out: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&OPTION=LOAD_PRODUCT_BY_ID&PRODUCT.ID=6083 Pinarello Prince carbon - 56cm. Should be "flashy" enough for any prima donna. You should be able to build it up any way you want (within reason) and still hit your price point.

I've looked at the Prince, and it is plenty flashy, but the FP Quattro is less expensive and has everything that I need in a frame. The carbon used on the prince is just not necessary and the additional cost of the frame shot the price up just over $7500 with everything that I want except for the shoes. It's a little out of my price range. Also, Glory has quoted me a price difference of $700 on the Racing Zero 2-ways, while Competitive thinks they are worth $500 more than that. I wish the FP Quattro was available as a frameset.

Since you want some flash, will be racing and I presume time trialing it in triathalons have you considered these aero road bikes:

Felt AR series:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/AR-Series.aspx

Cervelo S2:

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/S2/

Reactions: Bryce Klein
I had not considered them, but I will be sure to look at them in more detail prior to buying a bike. Thanks for the suggestions.