New Road Bike Ride - Advice/Support Please.

rvijay07

May 10, 2007
I got a new Nakamura road bike. Store didn't give me warranty papers, unable to locate Company Web-site, so a bit disappointed with this.

The pedal comes with a sort of a cover, this seems small for my size. Need to get used to this.

I did the test ride on this just now. Pushed it all along the road until I got to a safe zone. This road bike needs a very different kind of balance, Moreover, the head/back is really bent over the handle bar. Hence, head is closer to ground, one needs to be real careful. Also, in this position, the blood does rush to the head.
Also, the seat is real small and one needs to sit carefully, I still need to learn to do this otherwise, this also might cause injury.

I felt real tired today and returned home soon after I got this feeling. Then went and ate out, also had a coke. The strain was quite a bit.

I am male/40, over wt. by 35 lbs, never used a road bike before. How long will it take for me to get used to this road bike (or will I be able to get familiar with it at all ?)

Advice/Support appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Vijay

I was adviced to ride with my hands on the bars and only crouch when braking or changing gears etc., This has greatly helped get familiar with the bike.

Vijay

Did you have a bike fit. I think that would be best for you. you'll experience lesser pain.
happy riding.

ailmd said:
Did you have a bike fit. I think that would be best for you. you'll experience lesser pain.
happy riding.
any person can get used to any bike. It is just a matter of how of how often you ride, how much discomfort you cna handle, etc.

I'd say if your head is so low that the blood goes to your head, your seat may be too high! Set the bike up, and look at it from about 10 feet away, if the seat is considerably higher than the bars, lower the seat to match the bars (I'm going to assume this is possible as the top tube has to be either level, or tipped up slightly at the head.

I advise you to have the bike fitted to your body, as it sounds a mile off right now! Usually, a new bike will have the seat post barely stuck in, and on most of mine, I've had to shove it down considerably (I'm a short guy). also, you might be able to find an adjustment to move the bars up some. Generally, I like the seat and the bars to be as close to level as I can.

NewRiderMan said:
any person can get used to any bike. It is just a matter of how of how often you ride, how much discomfort you cna handle, etc.

I'd say if your head is so low that the blood goes to your head, your seat may be too high! Set the bike up, and look at it from about 10 feet away, if the seat is considerably higher than the bars, lower the seat to match the bars (I'm going to assume this is possible as the top tube has to be either level, or tipped up slightly at the head.

I advise you to have the bike fitted to your body, as it sounds a mile off right now! Usually, a new bike will have the seat post barely stuck in, and on most of mine, I've had to shove it down considerably (I'm a short guy). also, you might be able to find an adjustment to move the bars up some. Generally, I like the seat and the bars to be as close to level as I can.
The seat looks ok. I have not been very physically active in the past. So I feel that perhaps I need to get a bit flexible also and condition myself.