New road bike, what do I need??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ifly4mesaair, May 28, 2003.

1. ifly4mesaair

ifly4mesaair New Member

Hi, JUst bought a new road bike and was wondering about jerseys and shorts and other equipment I need. I mostly ride MTB but want to give the road a try. Have always used Camelbacks but with the bent over position on the road this seems to hurt my back a bit. Do the bike tools go in the jersey or a small pouch under the seat?? Also what do I look for in a Jersey and Padded shorts?? Lots of questions here but wanted to get some advice before I went shoppin!!!

Tags:

2. climbo

climbo New Member

where did you buy the bike? surely you could get more info there? look around a bit. Camelbak hurts? use bottles then. Tools, whatever you find more comfortable, i would put them in a small seat bag instead of my jersey. SHorts? what do you wear now? Just get regular bike shorts with a padded crotch. Basically you wear whatever you want but proper cycling gear is more comfortable for most people in the long run.

3. ifly4mesaair

ifly4mesaair New Member

I bought the bike at a garage sale .. its a new 2003 giant tcr ... all shimano 105 stuff with a flight deck computer. I guess the guy was riding a motorcycle and broke a leg and his pelvis ... wife got mad and told him to sell everything. I have checked several bike shops .. got a different answer from each one .. Just wanted some imput here so I could make an educated decision. I ride shorts that have the padded liner .. have been told these will chafe bad for prolonged periods .. and don't have a clue what to look for in a jersey .. thanks for the info on the small pouch .. seems like everybody has their own way ... just lookin for some ideas

4. climbo

climbo New Member

cool, well CHEAP shorts may chafe, good quality ones will not, try www.voler.com, they make great shorts at a reasonable price. Jerseys are all the same basically, get what you like and what fits, looks cool, whatever you like there. good luck