New Road bike with Campy?

Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm starting to look
new ride, and I'd like to get it buit with Chorus. None of the
american brands offer Campy though. Will I have to look at Euro
frames? Will I have to buy a frame and a groupo separately?

Ted C.

[email protected] wrote:

> Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm starting to look
> new ride, and I'd like to get it buit with Chorus. None of the
> american brands offer Campy though. Will I have to look at Euro
> frames? Will I have to buy a frame and a groupo separately?

None of the American brands? We build 95% of our Waterfords
& Gunnars with Campagnolo.

You could argue Kestrel's origin but we build 3/4 of those
Campagnolo, too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

ejcooke-<< Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm starting to
look
new ride, and I'd like to get it buit with Chorus. None of the
american brands offer Campy though. Will I have to look at Euro
frames? Will I have to buy a frame and a groupo separately? >><BR><BR>

Find a shop that starts with a frameset and then adds the group of your choice.
Most US brands are OEM(Original Equipment from the Manufacturer) by shimano
since they give pricing that is hard to ignore(can you say 'dumping?).

Along with a shop that starts with a frameset you will probably get a bike fit
on a fit cycle as well since the sales person won't be trying to get you to buy
based on the 'ride around the parking lot' type fit.

Many good US brands, In Ti, steel, carbon...and I guess aluminum as well.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Captain's log. On StarDate Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:25:17 GMT received comm from
[email protected] on channel rec.bicycles.tech:

: Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm starting to look
: new ride, and I'd like to get it buit with Chorus. None of the
: american brands offer Campy though. Will I have to look at Euro
: frames? Will I have to buy a frame and a groupo separately?

Why not let your local and professional BS simply build you a custom bike with
your frame and components of choice?

I'm actually a very happy Shimano Dura-Ace user (at least currently -- I have
generally nothing against Campa), but still consider this a much better option
than only be able to say "yes" or "no" to a complete from factory equipped bike.

Best regards,

martin törnsten

--
http://82.182.73.126/

Many Bianchis are equipped with Campy stuff.
Phil Brown

> Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm starting to look
> new ride, and I'd like to get it buit with Chorus. None of the
> american brands offer Campy though. Will I have to look at Euro
> frames? Will I have to buy a frame and a groupo separately?
>
> Ted C.

Ted
Trek will provide Campy on thier bikes. See the following website for
equiping Trek bikes to your customized desire! Any Trek dealer should
be able to do this for you.
Charlie

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/

news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm starting to look
> > new ride, and I'd like to get it buit with Chorus. None of the
> > american brands offer Campy though. Will I have to look at Euro
> > frames? Will I have to buy a frame and a groupo separately?

I believe Trek, on their high-end bikes, can be fitted with
Campagnolo.
While on topic, I am sure almost any high-end MFG can be fitted with
whatever you want.

I would build up a frame myself (other than the frame prep) because I
am picky on how my bike is set up. Not all the shops prep the cables
(and other things) perfectly. To do it right and with taste requires
time. Peter C. does a very nice job from the pics that I have seen.
Gerolsteiner is one pro outfit that I like a lot.

> Find a shop that starts with a frameset and then adds the group of your
choice.
> Most US brands are OEM(Original Equipment from the Manufacturer) by

shimano
> since they give pricing that is hard to ignore(can you say 'dumping?).

Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product to OEs?
Shimano's probably the most profitable company in the bike biz, and you
don't get there by selling the majority of your product at or below cost (as
would be the case if they were "dumping").

No doubt Shimano prices things strategically when they smell new
competition, but overall I think they're getting rather fat on what they
charge OEs.

On the other hand, the major differences between what they charge you & I
for components vs the OEs... that's a crime. Unfortunately, Campy's no
better that way. It encourages manufacturers to order more than they need
and then *they* dump it on the marketplace, via mail order. If both Shimano
and Campy would work to reduce this differential, the world would be a much
nicer place (nicer being defined as me being able to sell Shimano & Campy at
prices competitive with mail-order).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

MikeJ-<< Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product to OEs?
>><BR><BR>

Gee Mike, aluminum frameset-ed complete bicycles with DA 10s..with pricing that
is about what a group and build kit would be. It looks like the frameset is
free, or something is VERY cheap.

Ultegra bicycles comeplete for $100-$1200, DA 10s bicycles complete for $2000.

Mike J-<< Shimano's probably the most profitable company in the bike biz, and
you
don't get there by selling the majority of your product at or below cost
>><BR><BR>

C'mon Mike, we both know that the majority of shimano's biz is low end, walmart
type stuff, along with scads of $300 MTBs. They can afford to lose a few yen on
DA/ultegra bicycles.

Even tho Campagnolo can't spell OEM, and shimano is trying to control their
distribution, a $2000 DA 10s bicycle, with a $1700 group just doesn't add up.

Mike J-
<< On the other hand, the major differences between what they charge you & I
for components vs the OEs... that's a crime. >><BR><BR>

Not you necessarily you but a HU*GE Trek dealer in Denver sells gobs of
Serottas with ultegra triples on them. A 'different' way to resell OEM.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

> MikeJ-<< Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product to
OEs?
> >><BR><BR>

> Gee Mike, aluminum frameset-ed complete bicycles with DA 10s..with pricing

that
> is about what a group and build kit would be. It looks like the frameset

is
> free, or something is VERY cheap.

Most framesets *are* nearly free to the manufacturer. Mainland China can
(and does) turn out super-cheap frames, and there's a strong incentive,
especially for less-successful brands, to put the highest-level Shimano
parts on the cheapest-possible frame, to make it look like a great buy. The
reality is that they can get away with it, since very few people actually
test-ride bikes before they buy them anyway (some customers don't understand
why we *require* a test ride at our shop, but if nothing else it
familiarizes them with how things work and gives us an opportunity to see
where they might need help with something).

The fact that you don't see so many Campy-equipped bikes coming from China
probably has more to do with how business is done there than anything else.
Talk to the bike companies; very few have any love for how Shimano does
business, but they have even less for Campy.

Mike J-
> << On the other hand, the major differences between what they charge you &

> for components vs the OEs... that's a crime. >><BR><BR>
>
> Not you necessarily you but a HU*GE Trek dealer in Denver sells gobs of
> Serottas with ultegra triples on them. A 'different' way to resell OEM.

Not sure what you're saying here. Are they buying Serotta frames and
getting OE pricing on components?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

MikeJ-<< Most framesets *are* nearly free to the manufacturer. >><BR><BR>

lesse here. DA 10s is about $1700, carbon fork, a cheap one, is about $200, add
bars, stem, SP, saddle, rims, spokes, tires...add...carry...about $3000..how do
DA 10s bikes get to be $2000??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Mike J-<< Not sure what you're saying here. Are they buying Serotta frames and
getting OE pricing on components? >><BR><BR>

Yep..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Find a shop that starts with a frameset and then adds the group of your

> choice.
> > Most US brands are OEM(Original Equipment from the Manufacturer) by

> shimano
> > since they give pricing that is hard to ignore(can you say 'dumping?).

> Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product to OEs?
> Shimano's probably the most profitable company in the bike biz, and you
> don't get there by selling the majority of your product at or below cost (as
> would be the case if they were "dumping").

That is not dumping. Dumping is selling the parts in foreign markets
below the price charged in the domestic market where they are
manufactured. It often is below the manufacturing cost, though. Note
also, that if you have high prices in your domestic market, it
subsidizes your cheap prices in foreign markets for the purpose of
capturing market share.

I don't know whether Shimano does that or not now. They seem to have
all the market share they need, and are now using their functional
monopoly to prop up prices, in particular, for internet sales.

JP

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Mike J-<< Not sure what you're saying here. Are they buying Serotta
> frames and getting OE pricing on components? >>

> Yep..

Maybe you need to slap a fake Italian name on a cheap Asian frame like everyone
else does, so you can get OEM pricing too! (Does Scattante sound like "shitty"
in Italian, or what?)

Matt O.

> Mike J-<< Not sure what you're saying here. Are they buying Serotta
frames and
> getting OE pricing on components? >><BR><BR>
>

> Yep..

So how do you & I get in on that action?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Mike J-<< So how do you & I get in on that action? >><BR><BR>

I would rather comtinue to sell 97%+ of the bicis we sell with Campagnolo. less
problems short and long term.

OBTW-First failed DA 10s right lever. Gee and Wayne said the redesign would
eliminate the failure 'problems' that shimano says doesn't exist..oh well...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:05:25 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product to OEs?
>Shimano's probably the most profitable company in the bike biz, and you
>don't get there by selling the majority of your product at or below cost (as
>would be the case if they were "dumping").

Dumping is not selling usually selling below cost. When you sell in
your home market at a lower price than abroad that's dumping too. If
a very high percentage of your sales is abroad, that may become your
market.

Selling to different prices to non competing markets is ok. OEM is a
different market than retail. Drug companies sell a drug to a
hospital at a different price than to a pharmacy. They also sell
different price in different countries.

Shimano is a more efficient producer than Campagnolo. Shimano's
volume is much larger. The scale of size of their machinery and
automation requires that they have high volume sales. I'd guess that
Campy cannot even produce enough to sell OEM if they wanted to.
Shimano's development, marketing, and R&D cost per unit is much less.
than Campy.

Component boutique vs Component supermarket.