New Road bike with Campy?

ejcookso

Guest
Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm
starting to look new ride, and I'd like to get it buit with
Chorus. None of the american brands offer Campy though. Will
I have to look at Euro frames? Will I have to buy a frame
and a groupo separately?

Ted C.

[email protected] wrote:

> Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm
> starting to look new ride, and I'd like to get it buit
> with Chorus. None of the american brands offer Campy
> though. Will I have to look at Euro frames? Will I have to
> buy a frame and a groupo separately?

None of the American brands? We build 95% of our Waterfords
& Gunnars with Campagnolo.

You could argue Kestrel's origin but we build 3/4 of those
Campagnolo, too.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

ejcooke-<< Who equips new road rides with Campy these days?
I'm starting to look new ride, and I'd like to get it buit
with Chorus. None of the american brands offer Campy though.
Will I have to look at Euro frames? Will I have to buy a
frame and a groupo separately? >><BR><BR>

Find a shop that starts with a frameset and then adds the
group of your choice. Most US brands are OEM(Original
Equipment from the Manufacturer) by shimano since they give
pricing that is hard to ignore(can you say 'dumping?).

Along with a shop that starts with a frameset you will
probably get a bike fit on a fit cycle as well since the
sales person won't be trying to get you to buy based on the
'ride around the parking lot' type fit.

Many good US brands, In Ti, steel, carbon...and I guess
aluminum as well.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Captain's log. On StarDate Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:25:17 GMT received comm from
[email protected] on channel rec.bicycles.tech:

: Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm
: starting to look new ride, and I'd like to get it buit
: with Chorus. None of the american brands offer Campy
: though. Will I have to look at Euro frames? Will I have to
: buy a frame and a groupo separately?

Why not let your local and professional BS simply build you
a custom bike with your frame and components of choice?

I'm actually a very happy Shimano Dura-Ace user (at least
currently -- I have generally nothing against Campa), but
still consider this a much better option than only be
able to say "yes" or "no" to a complete from factory
equipped bike.

Best regards,

martin törnsten

--
http://82.182.73.126/

Many Bianchis are equipped with Campy stuff. Phil Brown

> Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm
> starting to look new ride, and I'd like to get it buit
> with Chorus. None of the american brands offer Campy
> though. Will I have to look at Euro frames? Will I have to
> buy a frame and a groupo separately?
>
> Ted C.
Ted Trek will provide Campy on thier bikes. See the
following website for equiping Trek bikes to your
customized desire! Any Trek dealer should be able to do
this for you. Charlie

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/

news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Who equips new road rides with Campy these days? I'm
> > starting to look new ride, and I'd like to get it buit
> > with Chorus. None of the american brands offer Campy
> > though. Will I have to look at Euro frames? Will I have
> > to buy a frame and a groupo separately?

I believe Trek, on their high-end bikes, can be fitted with
Campagnolo. While on topic, I am sure almost any high-end
MFG can be fitted with whatever you want.

I would build up a frame myself (other than the frame prep)
because I am picky on how my bike is set up. Not all the
shops prep the cables (and other things) perfectly. To do it
right and with taste requires time. Peter C. does a very
nice job from the pics that I have seen. Gerolsteiner is one
pro outfit that I like a lot.

> Find a shop that starts with a frameset and then adds the
> group of your
choice.
> Most US brands are OEM(Original Equipment from the
> Manufacturer) by
shimano
> since they give pricing that is hard to ignore(can you say
> 'dumping?).

Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product
to OEs? Shimano's probably the most profitable company in
the bike biz, and you don't get there by selling the
majority of your product at or below cost (as would be the
case if they were "dumping").

No doubt Shimano prices things strategically when they smell
new competition, but overall I think they're getting rather
fat on what they charge OEs.

On the other hand, the major differences between what they
charge you & I for components vs the OEs... that's a crime.
Unfortunately, Campy's no better that way. It encourages
manufacturers to order more than they need and then *they*
dump it on the marketplace, via mail order. If both Shimano
and Campy would work to reduce this differential, the world
would be a much nicer place (nicer being defined as me
being able to sell Shimano & Campy at prices competitive
with mail-order).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> MikeJ-<< Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product to
OEs?
> >><BR><BR>
>
> Gee Mike, aluminum frameset-ed complete bicycles with DA
> 10s..with pricing
that
> is about what a group and build kit would be. It looks
> like the frameset
is
> free, or something is VERY cheap.

Most framesets *are* nearly free to the manufacturer.
Mainland China can (and does) turn out super-cheap frames,
and there's a strong incentive, especially for less-
successful brands, to put the highest-level Shimano parts on
the cheapest-possible frame, to make it look like a great
buy. The reality is that they can get away with it, since
very few people actually test-ride bikes before they buy
them anyway (some customers don't understand why we
*require* a test ride at our shop, but if nothing else it
familiarizes them with how things work and gives us an
opportunity to see where they might need help with
something).

The fact that you don't see so many Campy-equipped bikes
coming from China probably has more to do with how business
is done there than anything else. Talk to the bike
companies; very few have any love for how Shimano does
business, but they have even less for Campy.

Mike J-
> << On the other hand, the major differences between what
> they charge you &
> for components vs the OEs... that's a crime. >><BR><BR>
>
> Not you necessarily you but a HU*GE Trek dealer in Denver
> sells gobs of Serottas with ultegra triples on them. A
> 'different' way to resell OEM.

Not sure what you're saying here. Are they buying Serotta
frames and getting OE pricing on components?

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Find a shop that starts with a frameset and then adds
> > the group of your
> choice.
> > Most US brands are OEM(Original Equipment from the
> > Manufacturer) by
> shimano
> > since they give pricing that is hard to ignore(can you
> > say 'dumping?).
>
> Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product
> to OEs? Shimano's probably the most profitable company in
> the bike biz, and you don't get there by selling the
> majority of your product at or below cost (as would be the
> case if they were "dumping").

That is not dumping. Dumping is selling the parts in foreign
markets below the price charged in the domestic market where
they are manufactured. It often is below the manufacturing
cost, though. Note also, that if you have high prices in
your domestic market, it subsidizes your cheap prices in
foreign markets for the purpose of capturing market share.

I don't know whether Shimano does that or not now. They seem
to have all the market share they need, and are now using
their functional monopoly to prop up prices, in particular,
for internet sales.

JP

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Mike J-<< Not sure what you're saying here. Are they
> buying Serotta frames and getting OE pricing on
> components? >>

> Yep..

Maybe you need to slap a fake Italian name on a cheap
Asian frame like everyone else does, so you can get OEM
pricing too! (Does Scattante sound like "shitty" in
Italian, or what?)

Matt O.

> Mike J-<< Not sure what you're saying here. Are they
> buying Serotta
frames and
> getting OE pricing on components? >><BR><BR>
>

> Yep..

So how do you & I get in on that action?

--Mike Jacoubowsky Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:05:25 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peter: Why would you say that Shimano is "dumping" product
>to OEs? Shimano's probably the most profitable company in
>the bike biz, and you don't get there by selling the
>majority of your product at or below cost (as would be the
>case if they were "dumping").

Dumping is not selling usually selling below cost. When you
sell in your home market at a lower price than abroad that's
dumping too. If a very high percentage of your sales is
abroad, that may become your market.

Selling to different prices to non competing markets is ok.
OEM is a different market than retail. Drug companies sell a
drug to a hospital at a different price than to a pharmacy.
They also sell different price in different countries.

Shimano is a more efficient producer than Campagnolo.
Shimano's volume is much larger. The scale of size of their
machinery and automation requires that they have high volume
sales. I'd guess that Campy cannot even produce enough to
sell OEM if they wanted to. Shimano's development,
marketing, and R&D cost per unit is much less. than Campy.

Component boutique vs Component supermarket.