New road bike

firegooroo

Dec 22, 2003
I would like to post a question to all those pros out there and any one else who would like to input on the question.

I am interested in upgrading my bike sometime in the near future. I currently own a FUJI Roubaix pro with Shimano 105 components, Richy rims and hubs. I plan on racing in the Crit races locally and enter on a few RRs, I would be racing in CAT 5 since my only other racing experience is with MTBs. I have been riding with a pro trainer for a while and he suggested that my current bike is fine although I disagree. The bikes I was looking into were ORBEA (Lobular Carbon), Trek 5200, FUJI Team lite and I would like to stay under $3000.00US. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advace.

In '96 I worked a deal and got my team sponsored by Fuji, and we were given Fuji Teams (at the time it was the same frame as the Roubaix, but with Ultegra components).

The bike worked great, looked good, and worked for me fine. I was a Cat. 3 at the time, and the rest of the team was 4's and 5's. Five of us had team bikes, and we got to keep them.

The year before, I had actually purchased the Team model, and raced that the whole season. So I rode a Fuji for two years competetively, and advanced well.

Stick to your bike, learn how to race well, and then when you are more competetive, go ahead and get a "better" bike.

Originally posted by firegooroo
I would like to post a question to all those pros out there and any one else who would like to input on the question.

I am interested in upgrading my bike sometime in the near future. I currently own a FUJI Roubaix pro with Shimano 105 components, Richy rims and hubs. I plan on racing in the Crit races locally and enter on a few RRs, I would be racing in CAT 5 since my only other racing experience is with MTBs. I have been riding with a pro trainer for a while and he suggested that my current bike is fine although I disagree. The bikes I was looking into were ORBEA (Lobular Carbon), Trek 5200, FUJI Team lite and I would like to stay under $3000.00US. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advace.

Daremo's right...Ttick with what you have for now and get used to the crit scene.

I remember seeing lots of fast BDR (German racing federation) racers with older equipment but very fit and fast legs when I started out. :)

FWIW: My Seven's coming in at around that price with my transfering of stuff from Specialized bike.

The frame below mine is $1995 I think.

Daremo, thanks for your advice I really appreciate it. I had spoken to my trainer again and he told me if I get a new bike any time soon in this season he would shove it up my *&&^$ if you know what I mean. What you said is right, I guess I'm just trying to find an edge and what I really need is to just improve on my ride.

I wonder if perhaps upgrading the components from 105's to Ultegra or Durace make it any better or am I just wasting money.
What do you think.

cycling isn't just a physical sport....but also a mental one. It takes a strong body and mind to make the sacrifices to be successful in cycling. That said.....sometimes a new ride is good for the morale. It makes you feel good to own a nice ride...and perhaps this enthusiasm sometimes carries over into your training and racing.

Your bike sounds like a solid setup for the cat 5 or cat 4 racing level. I raced 105's many many times when I first started out and I cannot ever remember them failing me.

There are some great bikes on the market today that offer considerable bang for the buck. I think the Ultegra group set is just awesome when you consider the price. It functions at a level just below Dura Ace..yet cost so much less. If you are working within a tight budget...consider a good frame equipped with Ultegra components.

Like he said, it could give you a psychological boost to upgrade your components.

Having the new 9-spd 105 on my current bike after riding/racing Dura Ace and Chorus when I was a Cat. 3 back in '97, I am very impressed with the 105. It has come a long way since I was hard core racing. But if you upgrade some of your stuff to Ultegra, it might be a hair lighter, and function a little better. Going all out to Dura Ace is quite a big expenditure, and you might be able to get a better deal on a full Ultegra equipped bike for the same price.

I'd stick with what you've got, and maybe buy a few lighter, stiffer parts (cranks, stem/bars, etc.) to give yourself the psychological boost.

Well, I'm not one to speak, as I just bought a brand-new Orbea.

But I agree with those who advise you to keep your current bike, and work on conditioning and technique.