New (road) tires for a cannondale F400 mountain bike?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Hector13, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Hector13

    Hector13 Guest

    I am new to biking, but I plan to use my bike solely for exercise by biking around the new york city
    area (ie, on "paved" roads mostly, not on any mountains).

    I plan to do some 30-50 mile rides over this summer and I have heard of people putting thin
    ("slick"?) tires on their mountain bikes.

    My question is, is this an easy/possible thing to do on my bike? The current tires on the bike are
    2.1" (I believe). Can I just get a set of 1.25s or 1.5s and throw them on the bike or do I need to
    get new tubes as well? Also, when people say "slicks" do they mean tires that are 1.25 to 2" or can
    you actually get road-size tires for a mountain bike (I mean in width, I realize they have different
    diameters).

    Lastly, if it is possible, is it something a newbie could do with perhaps the help of a bike
    maintenance book (any recommendations)?

    Thanks for any help.

    Tags:

  2. hector13 wrote:

    > My question is, is this an easy/possible thing to do on my bike? The current tires on the bike are
    > 2.1" (I believe). Can I just get a set of 1.25s or 1.5s and throw them on the bike or do I need to
    > get new tubes as well? Also, when people say "slicks" do they mean tires that are 1.25 to 2" or
    > can you actually get road-size tires for a mountain bike (I mean in width, I realize they have
    > different diameters).

    Yes! You can get 1" slicks, which are very close to a 25mm road tire. You _MAY_ need new tubes, but
    don't worry, tubes only cost about $4 each. Try the tubes you have first. Narrower tires (1") will
    feel like they roll slightly faster, while wider (1.5"+) slicks will seem a bit softer and deal with
    large potholes better.

    > Lastly, if it is possible, is it something a newbie could do with perhaps the help of a bike
    > maintenance book (any recommendations)?

    This is something you really should know how to do, as out on the road or trail no one will be there
    to do it for you. I suggest "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance", which is available at
    you local bike shop, Amazon.com, and many libraries. This book is written with the absolute beginner
    in mind, with the tasks and tools required sorted as skill levels 1 to 3.

    Keep your knobbies in a handy place, as one day you may want to ride offroad. Maybe we'll see you at
    Bike New York! <G>

    Barry

  3. "hector13" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am new to biking, but I plan to use my bike solely for exercise by biking around the new york
    > city area (ie, on "paved" roads mostly, not on any mountains).
    >
    > I plan to do some 30-50 mile rides over this summer and I have heard of people putting thin
    > ("slick"?) tires on their mountain bikes.
    >
    > My question is, is this an easy/possible thing to do on my bike? The current tires on the bike are
    > 2.1" (I believe). Can I just get a set of 1.25s or 1.5s and throw them on the bike or do I need to
    > get new tubes as well? Also, when people say "slicks" do they mean tires that are 1.25 to 2" or
    > can you actually get road-size tires for a mountain bike (I mean in width, I realize they have
    > different diameters).
    >
    > Lastly, if it is possible, is it something a newbie could do with perhaps the help of a bike
    > maintenance book (any recommendations)?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    You should have a smaller tube with the smaller tires. Also the width of your rim could be an issue
    with something as small as a 1.25

    I like the Kenda Kwest: http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/tiresmtnslick.htm

    and I have them mounted on Mavic 317 rims. Most web vendors have an e-mail address for questions and
    they'll tell you if your rims are compatible with the tire that you have in mind. Or your LBS would
    appreciate the business.

    --