New (road) tires for a cannondale F400 mountain bike?

Status

Hector13

Guest
I am new to biking, but I plan to use my bike solely for exercise by biking around the new york city
area (ie, on "paved" roads mostly, not on any mountains).

I plan to do some 30-50 mile rides over this summer and I have heard of people putting thin
("slick"?) tires on their mountain bikes.

My question is, is this an easy/possible thing to do on my bike? The current tires on the bike are
2.1" (I believe). Can I just get a set of 1.25s or 1.5s and throw them on the bike or do I need to
get new tubes as well? Also, when people say "slicks" do they mean tires that are 1.25 to 2" or can
you actually get road-size tires for a mountain bike (I mean in width, I realize they have different
diameters).

Lastly, if it is possible, is it something a newbie could do with perhaps the help of a bike
maintenance book (any recommendations)?

Thanks for any help.

hector13 wrote:

> My question is, is this an easy/possible thing to do on my bike? The current tires on the bike are
> 2.1" (I believe). Can I just get a set of 1.25s or 1.5s and throw them on the bike or do I need to
> get new tubes as well? Also, when people say "slicks" do they mean tires that are 1.25 to 2" or
> can you actually get road-size tires for a mountain bike (I mean in width, I realize they have
> different diameters).

Yes! You can get 1" slicks, which are very close to a 25mm road tire. You _MAY_ need new tubes, but
don't worry, tubes only cost about $4 each. Try the tubes you have first. Narrower tires (1") will
feel like they roll slightly faster, while wider (1.5"+) slicks will seem a bit softer and deal with
large potholes better.

> Lastly, if it is possible, is it something a newbie could do with perhaps the help of a bike
> maintenance book (any recommendations)?

This is something you really should know how to do, as out on the road or trail no one will be there
to do it for you. I suggest "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance", which is available at
you local bike shop, Amazon.com, and many libraries. This book is written with the absolute beginner
in mind, with the tasks and tools required sorted as skill levels 1 to 3.

Keep your knobbies in a handy place, as one day you may want to ride offroad. Maybe we'll see you at
Bike New York! <G>

Barry

"hector13" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am new to biking, but I plan to use my bike solely for exercise by biking around the new york
> city area (ie, on "paved" roads mostly, not on any mountains).
>
> I plan to do some 30-50 mile rides over this summer and I have heard of people putting thin
> ("slick"?) tires on their mountain bikes.
>
> My question is, is this an easy/possible thing to do on my bike? The current tires on the bike are
> 2.1" (I believe). Can I just get a set of 1.25s or 1.5s and throw them on the bike or do I need to
> get new tubes as well? Also, when people say "slicks" do they mean tires that are 1.25 to 2" or
> can you actually get road-size tires for a mountain bike (I mean in width, I realize they have
> different diameters).
>
> Lastly, if it is possible, is it something a newbie could do with perhaps the help of a bike
> maintenance book (any recommendations)?
>
> Thanks for any help.

You should have a smaller tube with the smaller tires. Also the width of your rim could be an issue
with something as small as a 1.25

I like the Kenda Kwest: http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/tiresmtnslick.htm

and I have them mounted on Mavic 317 rims. Most web vendors have an e-mail address for questions and
they'll tell you if your rims are compatible with the tire that you have in mind. Or your LBS would
appreciate the business.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.