New Road Wheels for a Mtn Bike?

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
I'd love to get a new bike, but hey, the truck just died (head gasket), and we're trying to save up for this sweet little piece of land by the river...
So, I'd like to upgrade my old steel hybrid with some new wheels. For the road.(don't do much off-roading anymore). It's gotta have 26" wheels, so any tips on what I should look for when buying 26" road wheels for what's basically a Mtn bike?
I ride about 100+ miles a week. I guess I'd say I "train recreationally": alternating long base rides with sprints, climbs and pleasure rides with friends 4 or so days a week.
Thanks.

There are many MTB wheels, 559mm rim with a 135mm hub (rear) available from bike shops. A 26" Road wheel for a MTB with 571mm rim (650c) and a 135mm hub is normally custom built.

A better option is road tyres made for MTB wheels. Conti have two narrow tyres to fit 559mm rims, Sport Contact in 26"x1.3 and the new Ultra Gator Skin Slick in 26"x28mm.

gclark8 said:
There are many MTB wheels, 559mm rim with a 135mm hub (rear) available from bike shops. A 26" Road wheel for a MTB with 571mm rim (650c) and a 135mm hub is normally custom built.

A better option is road tyres made for MTB wheels. Conti have two narrow tyres to fit 559mm rims, Sport Contact in 26"x1.3 and the new Ultra Gator Skin Slick in 26"x28mm.
thanks gc, i'll check those out.