New Roadbike for $1200 - $1600

rockinroz

Nov 7, 2006
Well, I've recently sold my Giant CRx4 hybrid road bike and am now looking at upgrading to a decent roadbike but having visited a few bike shops over the past week or so I am probably more confused than when I started.

My budget began at around $1200 but I think I have been talked into increasing it and looking at bikes around the $1600 mark. Can anyone suggest a good roadbike which will still be marketable say after around 2 years if I wanted to upgrade?

At the moment, I am tossing up between the following bikes:

- Trek 1200 ($1200)
- Shogun Ninja ($1599)
- Avanti Vivace ($1450)
- Specialized Allez ($1199)

Would really appreciate any feedback... Thanks :)

I am not sure I know what you mean by "marketable". Bicycles, in general, do not keep their value like cars do. There are improvements (or at least changes) each year, and most people want the latest and greatest.

In your price range, there is not a lot of difference among the major brands. you should be able to get Shimano 105 components at a minimum, and possibly a mix of 105 and ultegra. Other bikes that fits in your price range you should consider are the Felt F75 ($1399), the LeMond Tourmalet ($1250), the Giant TCR A1 ($1400), the Giant OCR A1 ($1400), and the Giant OCR 1 ($1100).

The biggest difference you will find among these bikes is the frame geometry, so pick one based on what fits you best and which is most comfortable to you. They are all reliable bikes, but do not expect to get a high "trade in value" in a few years on any bike in this price range.