New Roadie Needing an Opinion

Shortbus901

May 10, 2007
I'm pretty new to the road scene having been a MTB'er for a few years now. I'm looking for a road bike sub $1000 that will be comfortable for long distance riding with the eventual goal of riding century+ rides.

Thus far I've ridden most of the major entry level rides I can find in the local shops. The leading two up until today were the Giant OCR and the Bianchi Via Nirone (that Celeste color is mesmerizing). I've tried the Allez and the Trek 1000 and was not very impressed with either. Also found a Scott dealer and while the bikes are pretty bad @$$ looking I think (LBS agreed) that they are probably more agressive than what I want. Today I rode a Lemond Versailles and was absolutely blown away by the difference in ride quality and comfort compared to the aluminium bikes. The bike shop has the '06 model on closeout for $1199 which I can afford but is a bit out of my budget mainly b/c I am not sure I wanted to spend that much for a first ride. The searches I've run are kind of hit or miss but most reviews seem positive and I know I like the bike far better than anything else I've ridden. I guess I'm just wondering if this is a suitable ride for what I'm looking to do and if that seems like a fair price for it. They also had me on a 55 cm which felt ok to me but is smaller than what most of the other LBS's put me on riding other models. I am 6' not sure of inseam but the guy that measured me said I had relatively short legs for my height. Does 55 seem unreasonable based on that (very limited, I know) description? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I completely understand the dilemma as I was in the same process as you are going through. $1K budget, I can afford more but do I want to pay more, etc. etc. I'll share my experience and you can apply it, if you chose.

With so many choices out there and majority has said "buy what you can afford", "buy what fits", but these advices (although thankful) didn't help me narrow down choices (I can afford to spend $10K but do I want to:confused: ).

So every lunch for past 2 months, I've test rode bunch of bikes (20+), few miles at a time, and narrowed down what's important to me.

1. Fit - Specialized Roubaix was wonderful bike except it didn't quite fit my long torso, short leg body. I found Giant bikes to be more comfortable (just like you). I also liked Felt so I narrowed it down to these two makers (Trek was too long, Schwinn was too heavy, etc. etc).

2. Budget - Although I started with $1K as a budget, it's figure was too in between. Couple hundred $ more would get me entry level full carbon frame bike, or settle for aluminum bike with possibly carbon fork and carbon seatpost. I've decided to be somewhat flexible with my budget to "around" $1K.

3. Components - I knew I would want at least 105 level, nothing less. I've also noticed the difference in smoothness (or lack there of) when I did try Sora/Tiagra level.

4. Frame - I put priority on the Frame quality as if I wanted to upgarde derailers, brakes, etc. it would not be that difficult at reasonable cost. Frame on other hand is more permanent for me.

During the test ride, I've test rode mid/high end bikes just to see the difference (Specialized Roubaix Pro, Giant TCR C2, Felt Carbon, etc.). Like you, I felt the difference.

At the end, I really liked the Giant TCR C2 but couldn't substantiate the $1,700 price, even though that was the closeout 2006 price. I managed to find the 2006 Giant TCR C3 (same frame 105 components vs Ultegra, inferior brakes and wheels compared to C2) for $1,200. That's what I bought and I'm very happy about it and I'm taking it out as much as I can (or my wife allows me).

I can't say much on your fit other than that you'll know when you ride it .
I thought I would like the OCR which has more upright position and coming from MTB background but I ended up liking TCR better.

Based on your post, looks like you fell in love with Lemond Versailles.
If I were you, that's what I would get, even if it means you have to save $200 somewhere else (no more coffee, take lunch to work, etc.).
I think you'll be happier with Lemond than an aluminum bike as in your mind, you would wish you had purchased LeMond. I know I am, even though, I too spent $200+ over budget.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, that pretty much described my dilemma exactly. I did finally decide on the Versailles and picked it up on Saturday. Rode 30 miles on Sunday and aside from the expected initial minor aches due to getting used to the different posture (I'm used to the MTB) I had zero issues. I think this bike is going to be seeing some serious mileage cause I can't wait to get back on it :D

I am 6 ft and road a 56 for years. My current bike it a 55 and I am now convinced that a smaller bike is a good thing.

In my opinion, the frame geometry and the wheels are more important than the frame material. An aluminum bike with 36 hole low profile rims may be more comfortable than a steal bike with deeper profile rims.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Shortbus901 said:
I'm pretty new to the road scene having been a MTB'er for a few years now. I'm looking for a road bike sub $1000 that will be comfortable for long distance riding with the eventual goal of riding century+ rides.

Thus far I've ridden most of the major entry level rides I can find in the local shops. The leading two up until today were the Giant OCR and the Bianchi Via Nirone (that Celeste color is mesmerizing). I've tried the Allez and the Trek 1000 and was not very impressed with either. Also found a Scott dealer and while the bikes are pretty bad @$$ looking I think (LBS agreed) that they are probably more agressive than what I want. Today I rode a Lemond Versailles and was absolutely blown away by the difference in ride quality and comfort compared to the aluminium bikes. The bike shop has the '06 model on closeout for $1199 which I can afford but is a bit out of my budget mainly b/c I am not sure I wanted to spend that much for a first ride. The searches I've run are kind of hit or miss but most reviews seem positive and I know I like the bike far better than anything else I've ridden. I guess I'm just wondering if this is a suitable ride for what I'm looking to do and if that seems like a fair price for it. They also had me on a 55 cm which felt ok to me but is smaller than what most of the other LBS's put me on riding other models. I am 6' not sure of inseam but the guy that measured me said I had relatively short legs for my height. Does 55 seem unreasonable based on that (very limited, I know) description? Thanks in advance for any advice.