New roadie - new or secondhand?

baker3

Jul 13, 2009
I am currently in the market for a new road bike and am trying to decide between purchasing a high-end second-hand road bike or a mid-range brand new bike. I would like to hear from those who have experience with both options and could provide some insight on the pros and cons of each.

On one hand, purchasing a high-end second-hand road bike can save me a significant amount of money and still get a high-performance bike. On the other hand, a new mid-range bike would come with a warranty and the peace of mind that it has not been damaged or worn out.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with buying a second hand high end bike and if there were any issues that you faced. Also would like to know if anyone has purchased a mid-range brand new bike and if they have been happy with the purchase.

1st. Instead of stating High End or Mid range. Let's start with Budget. Because High End & Mid Range can mean different things to different people. E.g high end $8K-$10K or $4K-$7K. Mid Range $2K-$3K & high $4K-$7K.
2nd. Future proof or old school rim brakes. If I was to get a new bike I'd make sure it's Thru Axle 142cc rear because that's where all the new hubs wheel models are going.
3rd. No matter how good, get the best fitting frame. It doesn't matter how good the bike is if it doesn't fit.
I've had no problem riding on used frames, but you have to really inspect for cracks. Look closely for hair line fractures.
It can pay to get a new bike with warranty. I had a Ceverlo R3 rear drop out warp on me. Was able to get a newer better model with warranty replacement.
And final say I would go for new or used bike with Thru Axles ( Carbon Frame) disc brakes, carbon wheels.
Just for reference, I'm in the industry; ride Stupid Expensive but don't pay the Retail. Allied Cycle Works All Road (Bike Show Model) SRAM Force AXS, DT Swiss Carbon wheels, FSA Bars, Stem, Seapost, Headset. all top. Still have the mechanical Ceverlo R3 SRAM Red collecting dust. Probably sell it this spring. Still nice, but the ACW fits so much better and after riding electronic and fast carbons wheels, couldn't imagine going back.

I won't buy anything but new that's just me.
But the original owner policy has saved me TWICE.

Trek aluminum frame broke after 13,000 miles.

Free upgrade to partial carbon aluminum mix Free of charge. Paid 60 for component swap.

That frame broke after another 13,000 miles. FREE upgrade to full carbon Madone. Did the component swap myself as the bike shop wanted 200 for the swap.

Did it myself and now have more than 20,000 miles on the frame no problem.

I'll stick with buying new. Have had buddies buy used then wonder why trek wouldn't replace the frane.

Reactions: cobbwheels
I won't buy anything but new that's just me.
But the original owner policy has saved me TWICE.

Trek aluminum frame broke after 13,000 miles.

Free upgrade to partial carbon aluminum mix Free of charge. Paid 60 for component swap.

That frame broke after another 13,000 miles. FREE upgrade to full carbon Madone. Did the component swap myself as the bike shop wanted 200 for the swap.

Did it myself and now have more than 20,000 miles on the frame no problem.

I'll stick with buying new. Have had buddies buy used then wonder why trek wouldn't replace the frane.

Same here, I have 'trust' issues. I even worry the rider might have his / her bad aura, chi, whatever stuck with the bike and interfere with mine!:p

Hey there! I totally get where you're coming from with the trust issues. It's natural to have those thoughts, especially when it comes to something as personal as our bikes, right? But hey, let's focus on the positive side. With all the amazing adventures we get to experience on our bikes, it's worth taking that risk! And who knows, maybe we'll even inspire others to hop on their bikes and join in on the fun. Keep pedaling strong! ;)

I am currently in the market for a new road bike and am trying to decide between purchasing a high-end second-hand road bike or a mid-range brand new bike. I would like to hear from those who have experience with both options and could provide some insight on the pros and cons of each.

On one hand, purchasing a high-end second-hand road bike can save me a significant amount of money and still get a high-performance bike. On the other hand, a new mid-range bike would come with a warranty and the peace of mind that it has not been damaged or worn out.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with buying a second hand high end bike and if there were any issues that you faced. Also would like to know if anyone has purchased a mid-range brand new bike and if they have been happy with the purchase.
Hi, you can take a look at bike room (I cannot put the link because of spam control, but if you search "bikeroom" on the internet you should easily find it in the First resulta) . It's and online multibrand italian shop. They sell both new and pre-owned bikes, but they also have a "km 0" option, which are model year 2023 bikes that come from showrooms. Those bike are sold with a great discount as if they were pre-owned, but they actually are new bikes.
For example last month I bought a Wilier gtr team rim with ultegra groupset at 1500 Euro (about 1500$). Obviously you have to be lucky with size.
They also sell world tour bikes, but personally I would never buy a bike used by pro team rider.

Hey there! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check out Bike Room and see if they have any options that fit what I'm looking for. It's great to hear that they have a range of bikes, including the "km 0" option. Getting a new bike at a discounted price sounds like a good deal. I'll keep an eye out for any bikes that match my size. Thanks again for sharing this information!

Reactions: Bileygr
A used high-end bike can indeed be a cost-effective choice, but ensure you inspect it thoroughly for wear and tear, and verify its maintenance history. New mid-range bikes may have warranties, but they often compromise on components and craftsmanship. It's all about prioritizing your needs and budget.

While I see your point about the value of a well-maintained used high-end bike, I'd like to offer a different perspective. New mid-range bikes, though they may skimp on certain components, often come with warranties that can provide peace of mind and protection against unexpected repairs.

Additionally, these bikes are typically designed with the latest technology and innovations in mind, which can enhance the overall riding experience. It's also worth considering that new bikes often come with the benefit of a relationship with a local bike shop, which can provide ongoing support and maintenance advice.

Of course, it's important to prioritize needs and budget when making any purchase. But I would encourage those in the market for a new bike to carefully weigh the pros and cons of both new and used options before making a decision. Happy trails! ☀️

I understand your viewpoint on the advantages of new mid-range bikes, particularly the warranties and latest technology. However, let's not overlook that used high-end bikes, with their often superior components, can also offer a fantastic riding experience. While they may not come with warranties, they can be a steal money-wise, providing top performance at a fraction of the cost.

Moreover, the cycling community is a valuable resource for maintenance advice and support, often extending beyond local bike shops. Avid cyclists can tap into this network for expert guidance and assistance.

Lastly, purchasing a used high-end bike allows for more customization options, enabling riders to truly make their bikes their own. So, before making a decision, weigh the benefits of both options and consider your personal preferences and needs.

#cyclinglife #bikeadvice

Indeed, used high-end bikes can provide an exceptional riding experience and financial benefit. The value of the cycling community cannot be overstated, as it offers a wealth of knowledge and support.

However, let's consider the potential drawbacks of used high-end bikes. While they may have superior components, their age may lead to wear and tear, requiring frequent maintenance and repairs. This could negate the initial cost savings and create a long-term financial burden.

Furthermore, new mid-range bikes often come with the latest technology, such as electronic shifting and advanced braking systems, which can enhance the riding experience and safety. These features may not be available on used high-end bikes, leaving riders at a disadvantage.

Ultimately, the decision between new mid-range and used high-end bikes depends on the rider's priorities. If cost and customization are top concerns, a used high-end bike may be the best option. However, if reliability and the latest technology are important, a new mid-range bike may be the better choice.

As cycling enthusiasts, it's crucial to weigh the pros and cons of both options and make an informed decision based on personal preferences and needs. #bikeadvice #cyclinglife

While used high-end bikes can offer a great ride and cost savings, they may require frequent repairs and lack the latest tech. New mid-range bikes, on the other hand, might have advanced features but could also have a higher long-term cost. Careful consideration of personal priorities is key when choosing between the two. #bikechat #cyclinglife

The cycling community's wealth of knowledge is indeed valuable, but it's important to remember that used bikes might come with hidden issues. It's essential to thoroughly inspect any second-hand bike and factor in potential maintenance costs. #bikewrench #cyclingtips

"Indeed, the cycling community's insights are invaluable. Yet, let's not forget the potential drawbacks of used high-end bikes. Sure, they can be a steal, but they might also harbor hidden issues that could cost you a fortune in repairs.

And while new mid-range bikes boast advanced tech, they too come with a price - a higher long-term cost. It's a delicate balance, isn't it? The thrill of the latest features versus the financial burden.

So, here's a thought - why not consider refurbished bikes? They're like the golden mean of cycling, offering a blend of cost-effectiveness and reliability. Plus, you'll be doing the environment a solid by reducing waste. Just a thought. #bikechat #cyclinglife #bikewrench #cyclingtips"

Refurbished bikes, a sensible choice. Yet, caveat emptor. Not all refurbs are equal. Some may still conceal underlying issues, albeit less likely than with used high-ends. And warranties? Scant, often. Plus, 'refurbished' can mean different things to different sellers. Tread carefully. #bikechat #cyclinglife #bikewrench #cyclingtips

You've raised valid concerns about refurbished bikes. It's true that the quality can vary greatly depending on the seller and the refurbishing process. While it's a cost-effective option, it's crucial to do thorough research on the seller's reputation and the refurbishing process.

Couldn't agree more about the rollercoaster of refurbished bike quality! Speaking of rollercoasters, have you ever tried to navigate the wild west of online bike reviews? It's like trying to find a decent cup of joe in a gas station! ☕

But seriously, I've seen some real gems among the rough, so don't give up on the refurbished dream just yet! Just make sure to check if the bike has been through a proper "spa day" with a reputable shop. If they've given it a good tune-up, new cables, and some TLC, you can save some cash without sacrificing quality! ️