New rowbike

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Mikael,

    Not that new actually. For links to all the available rowbikes, and the world's most comprehensive
    coverage of all things rowbike, check out Roger Gilmore's great site.

    http://webpages.charter.net/rcgilmore/Illustrations.htm

    6400 km of rowbiking the mountains of Virginia so far!

    Warren

  3. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

  4. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    An input on Olsen's Rowbike. I sold my P-38 and bought a Rowbike thinking I could get a similar
    workout to the one I did on a Concept2 indoor machine, yet be in the great outdoors. I was
    disappointed with the real thing. I found that I wasn't able to use my leg power with the Rowbike
    like I did with the indoor rower. I eventually sold it to a Sikorsky engineer I work with, and he
    did what engineers tend to do--re-engineered it. He replaced the stock bungee cord with one that was
    larger and stronger, and it made all the difference in the world. I tried it and it felt much more
    like the Concept 2. Oh well.....

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
    http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  5. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    How do you suppose one would hold up doing a century on one of these?

    I don't believe that I could do it. Think I'll stick with the V-Rex! :p

  6. g19,

    > How do you suppose one would hold up doing a century on one of these?

    Rowing a sliding seat rig is extremely difficult. The torso moves back and forth several feet during
    a stroke. This makes balance tricky. It also makes climbing any significant grade nearly impossible,
    as your speed varies by several mph during the stroke. So at 4 mph average climbing you could find
    yourself going backwards!

    Also, on a sliding seat rig all of your effort must be transferred through your hands, which limits
    how hard you can push.

    Fixed seat rowbikes are much more practical.

    I have done centuries in the hills of Virginia on my modified Thys
    220.

    http://www.itt.edu/warren/images/PDRM0860.jpg

    It is faster than a stock V-Rex.

    Warren

  7. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 25 Jun 2003 07:36:24 -0700, [email protected] (Warren Berger) wrote:

    >Again, the action is so much lighter, and the stroke rate much higher, that it is probably
    >developing a different muscle type. But the fixed seat bikes are a great way to get a full body
    >workout, and great fun.

    Can you point me to an mpeg of one in action?? I'm having trouble envisioning how it works.

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
    http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Dave Clary wrote:

    > On 25 Jun 2003 07:36:24 -0700, [email protected] (Warren Berger) wrote:
    >
    > >Again, the action is so much lighter, and the stroke rate much higher, that it is probably
    > >developing a different muscle type. But the fixed seat bikes are a great way to get a full body
    > >workout, and great fun.
    >
    > Can you point me to an mpeg of one in action?? I'm having trouble envisioning how it works.

    < http://www.rowingbike.com/ > Upper left-hand corner of home page.

  9. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:34:28 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave Clary wrote:
    >>
    >> On 25 Jun 2003 07:36:24 -0700, [email protected] (Warren Berger) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Again, the action is so much lighter, and the stroke rate much higher, that it is probably
    >> >developing a different muscle type. But the fixed seat bikes are a great way to get a full body
    >> >workout, and great fun.
    >>
    >> Can you point me to an mpeg of one in action?? I'm having trouble envisioning how it works.
    >
    >< http://www.rowingbike.com/ > Upper left-hand corner of home page.
    >
    >Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

    Thanks!!

    dc

  10. Dave,

    > Can you point me to an mpeg of one in action?? I'm having trouble envisioning how it works.

    Go to

    www.itt.edu/warren

    Videos of my modified Thys 220 are at the bottom of the page.

    Note that my system simulates sliding seat rowing. You can row arms and/or legs ....any combination,
    just like sliding seat rowing.

    Warren