New Saddle questions..

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ohmic, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ohmic

ohmic New Member

Heya..

I'm looking for a new saddle for my MTB but mainly ride on the ride..

I have 2 questions I was wondering if people could answer for me.

1) What is the difference between a road and MTB saddle. And will a road saddle work jsut as well on a MTB.

2) What are some recomendations for some good saddles. Currently riding 70Km rides on the weekends and the back side is telling me to get a new saddle.

Regards,
    Ben.

Tags:

2. RC2

RC2 New Member

In general a saddle is a saddle is a saddle... But MTB saddles are generally designed with MTBing in mind...where you lay down/crash the bike quite a bit. You'd tatter a saddle like a fizik Alliante pretty quick that way. Also in MTBing you want to be able to move off the back on a hairy descent, so that would rule out longer saddles like the Arione. I think typical MTB saddles are a bit more cushy too to help cushion a jarring drop (vs. road where you're typically in the saddle wanting solid sit bone support). But basically they're interchangable.

3. insung

insung New Member

Everything RC2 said is right on. The best thing to do is wear your cycling shorts to a LBS and put the saddles that you're looking at onto a hard surface (stool or chair) and sit on it. You can sort of gage the feel for it.

I've always liked WTB saddles. The ones with Ti rails are really light and they're really tough. They don't cost as much as the Italian saddles.