New saddle

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bob, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I need a new saddle for my mountain bike. Any recommendations? What about those with cutouts to
    "reduce soft tissue compression"?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Alpamsfq

    Alpamsfq Guest

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    Might be a silly answer, but when my Flite Ti saddle suffered one too many chunks out of the corners
    I considered taking it to a local Saddlery (Perhaps they are offically called Tack Shops) but the
    places where they make and sell stuff for horses.

    At the time I figured, they could put a new cover on and stitch it up for
    me. Perhaps put some rivets in and brand my name into the leather. Yeeeehaaaa!

    In the end I was too lazy and just bought a new one and sold the old one for £5 on ebay.

    If you are really attached to your seat however (excuse the pun) then might be worth a try. Another
    suggestion would be take it to a shoe repair shop - stop laughing...

    hope this helps,

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I need a new saddle for my mountain bike. Any recommendations? What
    about
    > those with cutouts to "reduce soft tissue compression"?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

  4. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:05:47 -0500, Bob wrote:

    > I need a new saddle for my mountain bike. Any recommendations? What about those with cutouts to
    > "reduce soft tissue compression"?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

    A saddle is a very personal thing. Depends a lot on the size/shape of your butt. One person's
    perfect seat can be complete misery for someone else.

    That said, a lot of people like the selle itala seats. The trans am max is a little wider than
    average, and is good for bigger people. That's my "perfect" seat.

    -Bruce

  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:05:47 -0500, Bob wrote:
    >
    > > I need a new saddle for my mountain bike. Any recommendations? What about those with cutouts to
    > > "reduce soft tissue compression"?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > A saddle is a very personal thing. Depends a lot on the size/shape of your butt. One person's
    > perfect seat can be complete misery for someone else.
    >
    > That said, a lot of people like the selle itala seats. The trans am max is a little wider than
    > average, and is good for bigger people. That's my "perfect" seat.
    >
    > -Bruce

    I don't like my current seat because the nose is rounded upwards. It's hard to describe, but if you
    make it parallel to the ground, it seems as if the rounded part digs into your privates. If you make
    it less than parallel (angled toward the ground), it seems as if you're falling off the saddle. I've
    finally given up on it and will get a new saddle (I like the one on my racing bike, but then what
    would I do for it? Plus, you don't need to get behind the saddle on a racing bike, but that's a nice
    feature on some mountain bike saddles.)

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  6. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I need a new saddle for my mountain bike. Any recommendations? What
    about
    > those with cutouts to "reduce soft tissue compression"?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

    Get this seat, and never have a numb end again...

    I don't know if I would use it on my mountainbike, but it sure works good for the skibike.

    www.ergo-theseat.com

    darsh

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Darsh wrote:
    > "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I need a new saddle for my mountain bike. Any recommendations? What
    >
    > about
    >
    >>those with cutouts to "reduce soft tissue compression"?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Bob
    >

    > Get this seat, and never have a numb end again...
    >
    > I don't know if I would use it on my mountainbike, but it sure works good for the skibike.
    >
    > www.ergo-theseat.com

    YMMV -- but for me this was the worst seat that I've ever ridden. My average speed went down by a
    gear because of the effort required to stay on it! I tried it for a solid month -- forwards,
    backwards, slanted up, down netural -- I couldn't find a position that didn't either dig in
    (tilted-up), or act like a ski slope.

    I tried ALOT of saddles before finding the one that really fits.

    A common one recommended here is the the Selle Transam Max Flite. It was too wide for me -- dug into
    my legs and caused welts on long rides.

    The one that works for me is the Terry Men's Fly Trigel (or the regular men's fly, but the trigel's
    a little more comfortable for me).

    The hole is a must for me also. A groove is not enough.

    Bottom line is to find a shop that'll let you ride 'em. Some, you can rule out pretty quickly, But
    for me, the final desicisions took more miles than I was comfortable returning the saddle as
    "unused". I found that some were comfortable the first ride (3-4 hours) and got progressively
    worse with each ride (as it broke my butt!)! I've been on some 12-13 hour road rides (135+ miles)
    with the Terry -- I won't say that my butt didn't get sore, but I wasn't so unfomfortable that it
    was a problem.

    David

  8. x

    x Guest

    RE/

    >www.ergo-theseat.com

    Got one hanging on my garage wall.

    It was one of the two horn-less seats that I found totally unridable. Got to the end of my driveway,
    turned back, hung it on the wall..... Well, ok, I did fool around with it a little and tried riding
    it on several occasions...but the bottom line is the same.
    PeteCresswell