New science / thoughts on heart rate training?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Bike4Him, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Bike4Him

Bike4Him New Member

There is an article in Cycle Sport in December, "Pro Performance, Counting the Beat" regarding the Quick Step team using heart rate for training.
    Are there new revelations in training with heart rate?

Tags:

2. fergie

fergie Member

Not really.

Just a complete misunderstanding of the benefits of racing and training with a Powermeter.

3. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al New Member

Do you have a link - I searched their website but couldn't find the above mentioned article

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

It could have been an advertorial funded by a HRM manufacturer?

5. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that a top rank team like Quick Step would be using heart rate training in lieu of power training.

6. sitzmark

sitzmark Member

Have to subscribe: http://www.cyclesportmag.com/current-issue/cycle-sport-december-2010-issue/

You can’t open a training manuel these days without being buried under an avalanche of power meter information. Which makes Quick Step’s approach to training a refreshing one. Pro Performance interviews Quick Step’s trainer Luca Guercilena about his preference for using heart rate monitors in coaching his riders. We look at the training and racing of Quick Step rider Kevin Hulsmans as an illustration.

Doesn't say "exclusive use" - power and HR aren't mutually exclusive. Haven't read the article, but more than likely the team has access to every training tool imaginable. There may be specific physiological aspects of HR that LG finds important to monitor in relation to power - body vs. man/machine so to speak. He's a physician so maybe he wants a "bigger picture". ... that or he wants to continue a relationship with POLAR. Many medical and medically-related companies contract with physicians to be medical directors for product design/development and marketing.

7. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al New Member

8. Bike4Him

Bike4Him New Member

Here's another question.
    On some training rides I feel like there's nothing in my legs. I'm not tired or haven't ridden exceptionally hard the day before but I just feel weak.
    At this point I am not putting out much power (based on speed over familiar terrain) but my heart rate is high.
    Am I wasting time training at low power when I'm in the right zone based on heart rate?

9. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

YES.

If you feel like crap, ditch the workout, ride easy, and try training tomorrow.

. . . but if you are basing power simply on on speed, just make sure you aren't pedaling into a headwind. Your body will know when it feels like crap, and that is when to shut it down.

10. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Hmmm, seems like an interesting article.

I have started training with heart rate and have found it very informative to observe how my body feels vs. my heart rate. I have been very suprised that in just the short time using heart rate, I can tell what my heart rate is within a few bpm without even looking, just by observing how I feel. I do not plan to race with a HRM, but will deffinately stick with one for training.

Another interesting thing that I have found is that for a 20 min LT interval I am @ around 170 bpm for the 20 minutes. When I try to do VO2 max intervals I have trouble getting much over 175-180 bpm period (my max HR is 191 based on the calculation).

11. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

That's pretty normal. HR response is too slow to guide such intervals.

12. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Thanks for giving me the comfort of knowing that I am not abnormal, lol. So how would you ever get to a max heart rate or even close? Because now that I have been training with a HRM I am pretty sure it is not possible for me to get my heart rate that high on a bike (maybe running).

13. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

HRmax is exercise modality specific. To induce HRmax requires an exceptionally hard effort on a bicycle, such as sprinting the final 100m of a long hard hill climb, or a long (>20-30 seconds) maximal sprint effort at the end of a very hard crit, or by performing an incremental test to exhaustion, such as when performing a Maximal Aerobic Power test. See here for some thoughts:

http://www.cyclecoach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=146

Only to be done if you are healthy.