New Scientist interview with Dr. C. Kenyon

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Galya, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Dz

    Dz Guest

  2. Galya

    Galya Guest

    DZ <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > galya <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp;jsessionid=KEDEFONLCKFB?id=ns24171
    >
    > Which of the insuline receptors in humans are evolutionary homologous to C. elegans daf-2?
    >
    > DZ

    Daf-2 is one of three (I think) "longevity genes" that determine life span in C. elegans. I am not
    sure about the homologies in humans but the encoded homologous proteins in humans are those that
    regulate insulin and insulin growth factor I (IGF-I) .

    The following is a paragraph from the introduction to the full paper (free) by Wolkow CA, Munoz MJ,
    Riddle DL, Ruvkun G. Insulin receptor substrate and p55 orthologous adaptor proteins function in the
    Caenorhabditis elegans daf-2/insulin-like signaling pathway. J Biol Chem. 2002 Dec
    20;277(51):49591-7. Epub 2002 Oct 18. PMID: 12393910 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] (@:
    http://www.jbc.org/cgi/content/full/277/51/49591)

    <<An insulin-like signaling pathway controls development and lifespan in Caenorhabditis elegans
    (1-3). Genetic studies have shown that the
    C. elegans insulin-like pathway utilizes many of the same components as the human insulin and
    insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I)1 pathways.
    D. elegans insulin-like signaling requires the genes daf-2, encoding an insulin/IGF-I receptor-like
    protein, age-1, a homolog of vertebrate p110 catalytic subunits of phosphoinositide 3-kinase
    (PI3K), akt-1 and akt-2, encoding AKT/protein kinase B-like proteins activated by the
    phospholipid products of PI3K, and pdk-1, encoding a PDK-1-like kinase also required for
    AKT/protein kinase B activation (1, 4-6).>>

    galya

  3. Dz

    Dz Guest

    galya <[email protected]> wrote:
    > DZ <[email protected]> wrote
    > > galya <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp;jsessionid=KEDEFONLCKFB?id=ns24171
    > >
    > > Which of the insuline receptors in humans are evolutionary homologous to C. elegans daf-2?

    > Daf-2 is one of three (I think) "longevity genes" that determine life span in C. elegans. I am
    > not sure about the homologies in humans but the encoded homologous proteins in humans are those
    > that regulate insulin and insulin growth factor I (IGF-I) .

    Great. There appear to be some epidemiological studies of these genes on humans: e.g.
    http://tinyurl.com/rgx3 (associations of insulin receptor polymorphisms with longevity). And more by
    Barbieri, Bonafe, et al.

    DZ

    --