New seat for a Dawes Galaxy

Parsnip

Apr 27, 2009
Hi,

I'm sprucing up my dad's Dawes Galaxy (1980-something model), and as part of this I want to fit a new seat on it. However, I'm not sure whether a modern seat would fit the 80's post, and I don't want to buy one and then have to buy a new post.

Does anyone know whether seat post fittings have changed since then? Or are they all standardised?
I was hoping to upgrade to something like this:
Fizik Pave Sport CX Saddle 2009 Only £27.99

If that is all that you have of the seat post, then you are missing the clamp and will need to buy a seat post anyway. If you have the clamp, then most any modern saddle will fit it.

kdelong said:
If that is all that you have of the seat post, then you are missing the clamp and will need to buy a seat post anyway. If you have the clamp, then most any modern saddle will fit it.

Whoops, I forgot to take a pic of that. Yeh I have the original (slightly metal fatigued) clamp. Thanks for the quick reply - I'll order a new one tonight.

Parsnip said:
Hi,

I'm sprucing up my dad's Dawes Galaxy (1980-something model), and as part of this I want to fit a new seat on it. However, I'm not sure whether a modern seat would fit the 80's post, and I don't want to buy one and then have to buy a new post.

Does anyone know whether seat post fittings have changed since then? Or are they all standardised?

That thing needs a Brooks!

Parsnip said:
Whoops, I forgot to take a pic of that. Yeh I have the original (slightly metal fatigued) clamp. Thanks for the quick reply - I'll order a new one tonight.
BTW. I doubt the cradle/clamp is "slightly fatgued" or unuseable unless a portion is actually missing.

It probably will look/work/be fine after it is cleaned up with a BRILLO pad.

Parsnip said:

Is the saddle for YOU or for your dad?

As many people know, Brooks saddles have a love-hate appeal -- while not all saddles can make that claim, most people find that they have a preference for the saddle they use and the good intentions of buying a new Fizik PAVE SPORT CX saddle (particularly if it is a gesture/gift for your dad) may not be money well spent.

Also, if you do plan to buy a new seat post, be sure you know the correct diameter.

alfeng said:
Is the saddle for YOU or for your dad?

As many people know, Brooks saddles have a love-hate appeal -- while not all saddles can make that claim, most people find that they have a preference for the saddle they use and the good intentions of buying a new Fizik PAVE SPORT CX saddle (particularly if it is a gesture/gift for your dad) may not be money well spent.

Also, if you do plan to buy a new seat post, be sure you know the correct diameter.

Good point, I had got a bit carried away with what could improve the bike, I didn't stop to think that it's not me who's going to be riding it haha.

I'm going to leave the seat - I know that he likes the original, even if it is a bit heavy and scuffed. I'll use the money for something else, probably some new lights and a saddle bag.

Thanks for the advice, all appreciated.

Peter@vecchios said:
That thing needs a Brooks!

Naw, the whole bike needs to be traded for a recumbent. ;)

But seriously, Peter, I think one of those Turbo reissues you're selling would be the shiznit for this bike.