New series Mavic Aksiums, lower rear spoke count..any issues

Ainsie

Nov 13, 2007
Have been enjoying this forum for quite some time but first post.

I have just purchased some new aksiums online from PBK. Having a look on the Mavic website it seems these are now 20 spoke front AND rear compared to the old aksiums that had 20 front 24 rear spoke count.

I ride a bit on bike paths on a flat bar (yeah I know...regretting not going the drop bar option!) and am now unsure of the suitability of these with the lower spoke count on the rear as I am coming from entry level Alex DA16's with Tiagra hubs (32's) that seem rock solid regarding trueness. I am 5' 8 and approx 185 lbs.

Does anyone have any feedback on these new wheels and their suitability/durability compared to the old ones? Would it be better to try to get a set of the old aksiums to reduce the chance of needing to true too often?

Many thanks for any opinions or comments.

I wouldn't get them, or the older version. Have a mate with similar build to you, but I'd guess he is a stronger rider. He broke a spoke after about 5000km road riding and training, which just isn't good enough.

Why do you feel the need to change the wheels if they are rock solid? Bike path riding isn't generally high speed, and I'd take something more robust for the less than perfect sections and 25mm tyres etc.

Seems odd to be asking questions AFTER having bought something........

Great point Phill,

Unfortunatelly I ASSumed incorrectly the spoke count would remain the same.

The reason for the upgrade....I disintegrated the front wheel when some Japanese businessmen decided to cut in front of me on a path in Perth.

Will be looking to replace the rim and keep the hubs and spokes but thought would be good to have another set of wheels for longer rides (40 km +) and to keep my old ones for shorter rides around the river (10-20 km).

Aksiums seem to have a good rep for reliability and value for my current level of riding (as opposed to shimano 500 or 550's). Just hoping the reduction of rear spokes won't make too much of a difference.

Ainsie said:
Great point Phill,

Unfortunatelly I ASSumed incorrectly the spoke count would remain the same.

The reason for the upgrade....I disintegrated the front wheel when some Japanese businessmen decided to cut in front of me on a path in Perth.

Will be looking to replace the rim and keep the hubs and spokes but thought would be good to have another set of wheels for longer rides (40 km +) and to keep my old ones for shorter rides around the river (10-20 km).

Aksiums seem to have a good rep for reliability and value for my current level of riding (as opposed to shimano 500 or 550's). Just hoping the reduction of rear spokes won't make too much of a difference.
Lower spoke count and all i think the aksium will be stronger than the similair priced 500 or 550. (i was breaking a spoke about every 3000 km on my 550 and have never broken a spoke on my mavic equipe after 15000).

jerrek said:
Lower spoke count and all i think the aksium will be stronger than the similair priced 500 or 550. (i was breaking a spoke about every 3000 km on my 550 and have never broken a spoke on my mavic equipe after 15000).
Thanks for the reply Jerrek.

Out of curiosity did you find the broken spokes occured more on the front or rear of the 550's? Also did/do you have trueing issues with the 550's or the mavic equipe's?

Cheers,
Chris

There is a lot written about 550s in here and other forums, do a search.

Most people were having problems with the rear driving spokes

Ainsie said:
Thanks for the reply Jerrek.

Out of curiosity did you find the broken spokes occured more on the front or rear of the 550's? Also did/do you have trueing issues with the 550's or the mavic equipe's?

Cheers,
Chris
I had problems with both front and rears on the shimano. I did not have trueing issues with the shimano except when spokes broke at which point the rim just about made a right hand turn. Even when some spokes have been a bit loose on the mavics they only had a slight issue with the rim, unnoticable unless you look very closely. I did have to have 1 rim replaced due to cracking on the mavic thought (under warrantee).