New Shimano Hubs

billb

Guest
Are the new Shimano 10spd hubs back to the exact same configuration
and dimensions as 9spd with respect to the cassette interface
(splines)?
Best,
Bill Black

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 04:26:37 -0800 (PST), billb <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Are the new Shimano 10spd hubs back to the exact same configuration
>and dimensions as 9spd with respect to the cassette interface
>(splines)?
>Best,
>Bill Black

The wheels I have while not Shimano will take 9 or 10 speed cassettes.
Actually I do have an Ultegra hub but I use a 9 speed on that. The 10
speed wheel has an off brand hub. I did use the wheels of my Felt
cross bike on my road bike for a while as the wheels were built for
the road bike. I removed the 9 speed cassette and installed the
DuraAce 10 speed cassette with no drama.

There may be a shim you need to use with one or the other cassette.

On Nov 26, 4:26 am, billb <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are the new Shimano 10spd hubs back to the exact same configuration
> and dimensions as 9spd with respect to the cassette interface
> (splines)?
> Best,
> Bill Black

New for 2008 - FH-7850 is back to 9-speed compatibility, thanks to its
Ti freehub body, as opposed to FH-7800's Al body. This body is also on
the new WH-7850 wheels.

see http://tinyurl.com/yt3oyb

FH-6600 and FH-5600 have steel bodies and have been 9-speed compatible
all along.

Looks like the only 10-speed-only hubs they still make are on the
WH-6600 and WH-R601 wheels.

Hank Wirtz said:
On Nov 26, 4:26 am, billb <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are the new Shimano 10spd hubs back to the exact same configuration
> and dimensions as 9spd with respect to the cassette interface
> (splines)?
> Best,
> Bill Black

New for 2008 - FH-7850 is back to 9-speed compatibility, thanks to its
Ti freehub body, as opposed to FH-7800's Al body. This body is also on
the new WH-7850 wheels.

see http://tinyurl.com/yt3oyb

FH-6600 and FH-5600 have steel bodies and have been 9-speed compatible
all along.

Looks like the only 10-speed-only hubs they still make are on the
WH-6600 and WH-R601 wheels.
Wow! Shimano decides that compatibility is more important than winning the "weight weenie war".... well that is my opinion anyway.
Now I wonder if it is possible and/or practical to put a 7850 freehub on a 7800 hub.

On Nov 26, 7:38 pm, daveornee <daveornee.30o...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Hank Wirtz Wrote:
>

> > On Nov 26, 4:26 am, billb <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Are the new Shimano 10spd hubs back to the exact same configuration
> > > and dimensions as 9spd with respect to the cassette interface
> > > (splines)?
> > > Best,
> > > Bill Black

> > New for 2008 - FH-7850 is back to 9-speed compatibility, thanks to its
> > Ti freehub body, as opposed to FH-7800's Al body. This body is also on
> > the new WH-7850 wheels.

> > seehttp://tinyurl.com/yt3oyb

> > FH-6600 and FH-5600 have steel bodies and have been 9-speed compatible
> > all along.

> > Looks like the only 10-speed-only hubs they still make are on the
> > WH-6600 and WH-R601 wheels.

> Wow! Shimano decides that compatibility is more important than winning
> the "weight weenie war".... well that is my opinion anyway.
> Now I wonder if it is possible and/or practical to put a 7850 freehub
> on a 7800 hub.
>
> --
> daveornee- Hide quoted text -

That is a very good question. I wonder what Shimano will be doing with
its future manufactire of 10spd cassettes -- going with shallower
slots?

wrote:

>Are the new Shimano 10spd hubs back to the exact same configuration
>and dimensions as 9spd with respect to the cassette interface
>(splines)?

AFAIK, the new DuraAce hubs still have the taller splines that accept
only DuraAce cassettes; all recent models below that will take 8/9/10
interchangeably, as well as HG7 with the addition of a spacer. So as
long as you are not talking about the DA hubs, then yes, there has
been no 9/10 change.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

I stand corrected; as Hank Wirtz pointed out, Shimano appears to have
ditched the aluminum DA hab for a titanium one that's 9-compatible,
which I view as a Good Thing.
--

On Nov 27, 4:14 am, billb <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 7:38 pm, daveornee <daveornee.30o...@no-
>

> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Hank Wirtz Wrote:

> > > New for 2008 - FH-7850 is back to 9-speed compatibility, thanks to its
> > > Ti freehub body, as opposed to FH-7800's Al body. This body is also on
> > > the new WH-7850 wheels.

> > > seehttp://tinyurl.com/yt3oyb

> > > FH-6600 and FH-5600 have steel bodies and have been 9-speed compatible
> > > all along.

> > > Looks like the only 10-speed-only hubs they still make are on the
> > > WH-6600 and WH-R601 wheels.

> > Wow! Shimano decides that compatibility is more important than winning
> > the "weight weenie war".... well that is my opinion anyway.
> > Now I wonder if it is possible and/or practical to put a 7850 freehub
> > on a 7800 hub.

> > --
> > daveornee- Hide quoted text -

> That is a very good question. I wonder what Shimano will be doing with
> its future manufactire of 10spd cassettes -- going with shallower
> slots?
> Best,
> Bill Black- Hide quoted text -

Why would they? That would strand the people with FH-7800/7801, while
current 10s ones work with all 8/9/10 hubs, plus the deeper splines
are *lighter*.

On Nov 26, 4:38 pm, daveornee <daveornee.30o...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Hank Wirtz Wrote:
>

> > On Nov 26, 4:26 am, billb <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Are the new Shimano 10spd hubs back to the exact same configuration
> > > and dimensions as 9spd with respect to the cassette interface
> > > (splines)?
> > > Best,
> > > Bill Black

> > New for 2008 - FH-7850 is back to 9-speed compatibility, thanks to its
> > Ti freehub body, as opposed to FH-7800's Al body. This body is also on
> > the new WH-7850 wheels.

> > seehttp://tinyurl.com/yt3oyb

> > FH-6600 and FH-5600 have steel bodies and have been 9-speed compatible
> > all along.

> > Looks like the only 10-speed-only hubs they still make are on the
> > WH-6600 and WH-R601 wheels.

> Wow! Shimano decides that compatibility is more important than winning
> the "weight weenie war".... well that is my opinion anyway.
> Now I wonder if it is possible and/or practical to put a 7850 freehub
> on a 7800 hub.
>
> --
> daveornee- Hide quoted text -

Not according to the Exploded View diagram:

http://tinyurl.com/2mp9hq

Bearings have moved back to outside the FH body. According to the
document linked above, it's the same part as the XTR FH-M970's freehub
body.

Looks like the FH-7800/7801 and its inboard bearings are exiled to the
Island Of Misfit Toys.