new shimano road pedals and old look style shoes

Peter Z

Guest
Howdy cyclists,

I'm interested in upgrading my current Look style Shimano pedals (PD-6401) with the latest
Ultegra pedals (PD-R600). I plan to continue using my Look shoes which currently have the Look
red cleats mounted. The shoes only accept the Look style cleats (ie. three bolt pattern, one in
front, two in back).

Can anyone confirm that the new cleats will fit the same bolt pattern as the old cleats? I have
checked out Shimano's web site and they say use only SPD-SL shoes but then of course they'd say
that. The bolt pattern *appears* to be the same but I'd like to confirm that before laying the $ for
the new pedals and cleats.

Any info greatly appreciated.

-Peter

"peter z" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Can anyone confirm that the new cleats will fit the same bolt
pattern as the
old cleats? <<<

Hi, yes they will fit. I'm using the Shimano SM-SH11 cleats on a pair of Pearl Izumi Vortex, which
are Look compatible. Any shoe that is Look compatible will work. I went from a pair of Shimano
PD-M324, SPD pedals, using the Shimano MO20 shoes to the Ultegra SPD-SL with the Vortex and I am
really happy with them. Life is Good! Jeff

> Howdy cyclists,
>
> I'm interested in upgrading my current Look style Shimano pedals (PD-6401) with the latest
> Ultegra pedals (PD-R600). I plan to continue using my Look shoes which currently have the Look
> red cleats mounted. The shoes only accept the Look style cleats (ie. three bolt pattern, one in
> front, two in back).
>
> Can anyone confirm that the new cleats will fit the same bolt pattern as the old cleats? I have
> checked out Shimano's web site and they say use only SPD-SL shoes but then of course they'd say
> that. The bolt pattern *appears* to be the same but I'd like to confirm that before laying the $
> for the new pedals and cleats.
>
> Any info greatly appreciated.
>
> -Peter

yes, confirmed.

the new SPD-SL cleats use the exact same mounting holes as look cleats. the previous generation
SPD-R cleats use SPD pattern (two-hole) mounting.

i just got a pair of the PD-R600's and installed the cleats on my sidi's, directly into the look
mounting points on the shoe and without use of the sidi SPD adapters.

no worries,

dookie

"peter z" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy cyclists,
>
> I'm interested in upgrading my current Look style Shimano pedals (PD-6401) with the latest
> Ultegra pedals (PD-R600). I plan to continue using my Look shoes which currently have the Look
> red cleats mounted. The shoes only accept the Look style cleats (ie. three bolt pattern, one in
> front, two in back).
>
> Can anyone confirm that the new cleats will fit the same bolt pattern as
the
> old cleats? I have checked out Shimano's web site and they say use only SPD-SL shoes but then of
> course they'd say that. The bolt pattern
*appears*
> to be the same but I'd like to confirm that before laying the $ for the
new
> pedals and cleats.
>
> Any info greatly appreciated.
>
> -Peter

Thanks Jeff and dookie. Sounds like the Shimano new pedals are a go for my old shoes.

-Peter

"peter z" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy cyclists,
>
> I'm interested in upgrading my current Look style Shimano pedals (PD-6401) with the latest
> Ultegra pedals (PD-R600). I plan to continue using my Look shoes which currently have the Look
> red cleats mounted. The shoes only accept the Look style cleats (ie. three bolt pattern, one in
> front, two in back).
>
> Can anyone confirm that the new cleats will fit the same bolt pattern as
the
> old cleats? I have checked out Shimano's web site and they say use only SPD-SL shoes but then of
> course they'd say that. The bolt pattern
*appears*
> to be the same but I'd like to confirm that before laying the $ for the
new
> pedals and cleats.
>
> Any info greatly appreciated.
>
> -Peter

plz-<< I'm interested in upgrading my current Look style Shimano pedals (PD-6401) with the latest
Ultegra pedals (PD-R600). I plan to continue using my Look shoes which currently have the Look red
cleats mounted. The shoes only accept the Look style cleats (ie. three bolt pattern, one in front,
two in back). >><BR><BR> << Can anyone confirm that the new cleats will fit the same bolt pattern as
the old cleats? I have checked out Shimano's web site and they say use only SPD-SL shoes but then of
course they'd say that. The bolt pattern *appears* to be the same but I'd like to confirm that
before laying the $ for the new pedals and cleats. >><BR><BR>

yep, same three bolt pattern that is the 'standard' now for road pedals..'Back to the
Future!!!" shimano tried to change the world with SPD-R, but failed...pitty those that have
SPD-R shoes and pedals..

dookie-<< the previous generation SPD-R cleats use SPD pattern (two-hole) mounting.
>><BR><BR>

Nope, altho many shoes had Look, SPD-R and SPD, the two hole bolt mount of SPD-R and SPD, are
different...

Have ya got them? Look at Speedplay Zeros if not-