New Shoe Co. Debuting @ NYC Marathon...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Globaldisc, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Globaldisc

    Globaldisc Guest

    http://www.shoespring.com/

    I'm not going to dismiss the shoe without checking it out. I spoke to one of their on-staff
    Marathoners and he's ran about 13 in R&D efforts w/the technology. They're particularly proud of the
    Genesis model w/has the WaveSpring technology in both the heel and forefoot...and their saying that
    shoe delivers an "energy return greater than any shoe on the market". The shoes are heavier 13-14
    oz.....however...they claim more than make up for it in less fatigue over time. They'll be at the
    NYC Marathon Expo selling their entire line for the first time...the product roll out to retailers
    will come in later months.

    I have no relationship with this company, don't know them from anyone, have no commercial
    interest in promoting them. For all I know the shoes are dogs and I don't believe in the being
    the first generation buyer of anything as you're basically the real world beta site. However...I
    thought other runners would find a new entrant to the industry interesting.... Genesis will be
    $130 at the Expo....

    Andrew....

    Tags:

  2. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.shoespring.com/

    []
    > ... I don't believe in the being the first generation buyer of anything as you're basically the
    > real world beta site. However...I thought other runners would find a new entrant to the industry
    > interesting.... Genesis will be $130 at the Expo....
    >
    > Andrew....

    Well, that's one more reason we have elite runners. Let them try to gain advantage using new
    technology. It will be interesting to learn if this becomes accepted. (at $130 I'll pass for now.)

    Ed

  3. Amh

    Amh Guest

    [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.shoespring.com/
    >
    > I'm not going to dismiss the shoe without checking it out. I spoke to one of their on-staff
    > Marathoners and he's ran about 13 in R&D efforts w/the technology. They're particularly proud of
    > the Genesis model w/has the WaveSpring technology in both the heel and forefoot...and their saying
    > that shoe delivers an "energy return greater than any shoe on the market". The shoes are heavier
    > 13-14 oz.....however...they claim more than make up for it in less fatigue over time. They'll be
    > at the NYC Marathon Expo selling their entire line for the first time...the product roll out to
    > retailers will come in later months.

    We have air, gel, EVA, and now springs. I'm not impressed with the energy return "technology". I'll
    listen to the buzz and ignore the hype and maybe try them on when I look for shoes in the spring.

    Andy

  4. In article <[email protected]>, AMH wrote:
    > [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> http://www.shoespring.com/
    >>
    >> I'm not going to dismiss the shoe without checking it out. I spoke to one of their on-staff
    >> Marathoners and he's ran about 13 in R&D efforts w/the technology. They're particularly proud of
    >> the Genesis model w/has the WaveSpring technology in both the heel and forefoot...and their
    >> saying that shoe delivers an "energy return greater than any shoe on the market". The shoes are
    >> heavier 13-14 oz.....however...they claim more than make up for it in less fatigue over time.
    >> They'll be at the NYC Marathon Expo selling their entire line for the first time...the product
    >> roll out to retailers will come in later months.
    >>
    > We have air, gel, EVA, and now springs. I'm not impressed with the energy return "technology".

    Sounds awfully similar to Nike Shox, doesn't it ? Not impressed either, but quietly interested.

    Cheers,

  5. John Hunter

    John Hunter Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, AMH wrote:
    > > [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> http://www.shoespring.com/
    > >>
    > >> I'm not going to dismiss the shoe without checking it out. I spoke to one of their on-staff
    > >> Marathoners and he's ran about 13 in R&D efforts w/the technology. They're particularly proud
    > >> of the Genesis model w/has the WaveSpring technology in both the heel and forefoot...and their
    > >> saying that shoe delivers an "energy return greater than any shoe on the market". The shoes are
    > >> heavier 13-14 oz.....however...they claim more than make up for it in less fatigue over time.
    > >> They'll be at the NYC Marathon Expo selling their entire line for the first time...the product
    > >> roll out to retailers will come in later months.
    > >>
    > > We have air, gel, EVA, and now springs. I'm not impressed with the energy return "technology".
    >

    > Sounds awfully similar to Nike Shox, doesn't it ? Not impressed either, but quietly interested.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I've looked at these Shoespring shoes (I think the company calls itself Spira now). What bothers me
    about them is that the spring in the front is right at the foot's natural flexpoint. Also, I noticed
    that after a while, the sole between the spring and the foot gets weak (at least in my case) and I
    actually felt my feet 'sink' into the hole of the spring. Hard to describe, but it started hurting
    like a son-of-a-b**c.

    I doubt that those springs give any kind of energy return. Since I had worn them for a few months I
    was unable to return them to the store where I bought them, so out of curiosity, I cut them appart.
    I can squeeze the spring between my fingers. I doubt that these things don't do anything but
    collapse when your body weight is on it. A proper spring would not collapse instantly (like I think
    these things
    do) but rather slow down the rate of impact.

    I think these shoes are a nice try, but they are on the same level as Nike Shox in terms of their
    gimmick value, IMHO.

    John