New shoes, stupid question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Slartibartfast, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. So, I got a new pair of DMT shoes the other day. I thought the afair would be strait forward, you
    know, buy shoes, attach cleats, go ride, same as its ever been. But no, I get the shoes home, take
    them out of the box and this mystery piece falls out also. It's aboout the shape of an spd-r cleat
    but its made out of realy rough sand paper. Any body out there know what this is for? Am I supposed
    to rough up the undersides of my cleats before attaching them to the shoes? if so, why?

    Thanks Jason

    Tags:

  2. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:50:49 GMT, slartibartfast <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >So, I got a new pair of DMT shoes the other day. I thought the afair would be strait forward, you
    >know, buy shoes, attach cleats, go ride, same as its ever been. But no, I get the shoes home, take
    >them out of the box and this mystery piece falls out also. It's aboout the shape of an spd-r cleat
    >but its made out of realy rough sand paper. Any body out there know what this is for? Am I supposed
    >to rough up the undersides of my cleats before attaching them to the shoes? if so, why?
    >
    >Thanks Jason

    Does it have adhesive on the back?

    Some carbon-soled shoes are slippery enough the cleat sometimes moves. So you stick the abrasive
    patch on the shoe sole in your own cleat position to grip the cleat better.

  3. dianne_1234 wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:50:49 GMT, slartibartfast <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>So, I got a new pair of DMT shoes the other day. I thought the afair would be strait forward, you
    >>know, buy shoes, attach cleats, go ride, same as its ever been. But no, I get the shoes home, take
    >>them out of the box and this mystery piece falls out also. It's aboout the shape of an spd-r cleat
    >>but its made out of realy rough sand paper. Any body out there know what this is for? Am I
    >>supposed to rough up the undersides of my cleats before attaching them to the shoes? if so, why?
    >>
    >>Thanks Jason
    >

    > Does it have adhesive on the back?
    >
    > Some carbon-soled shoes are slippery enough the cleat sometimes moves. So you stick the abrasive
    > patch on the shoe sole in your own cleat position to grip the cleat better.

    Thanks, they where stuck together so well I thought there was only one of them, when I tried to
    figure out if it had adhesive on the back it came apart into 2 patches, now it makes sense.

    Cheers Jason