New Shoes

dwj444

Aug 26, 2003
I'm getting fitted in a couple weeks and I'm going to replace my pedals (POS stock pedals that I've had for years). I bought my shoes the same time I bought my bike (6 years ago); now I'm looking at replacing my pedals, I'm thinking of replacing the shoes, too.

I'm upgrading -- going to SPD-SL's (ultegra, most likely); what kind of shoes are people riding? Is anyone riding SPD-SL's? What shoes do think work best with these? Why?

Thanks for your help!
D.

I have Dura-Ace SPD-SLs and use Sidi Genius 4 shoes. I have a set of Specialized Pro Carbon shoes. I prefer the Sidis because my foot is on the narrow side, so the fit is better especially for longer rides. I'll probably just use the stiffer Spec Carbons for track riding.

Keep in mind a few things when it comes to shoes:

They are your interface of power from your foot to the drivetrain and are in my opinion one of the most important purchases to make. Spare no expense in shoes, but don't just go out and buy any expensive shoe expecting them to be the same. For me Sidis work perfectly, and they last a long time. Research and try different shoes. Forget mail-order because you NEED the perfect fit. Remember, what works for one person does not mean it will be ideal for you.

I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Vortex shoes when they were introduced a few years ago, and I couldn't be happier. They've changed the design for this year, but if they are anything like the original shoe it would be worth trying on a pair of them.