New Spectro S7 vs. Old S7

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    New Spectro S7 vs. Old Spectro S7

    I see SRAM shows the new ratio-range of 303% top to bottom on the new internal gear hub.

    What changes besides ratios have been made between the new vs. old SRAM S7 internal gear hub( i.e. weight/efficiency/reliability/shifting/impact resistance)?

    Are these new hubs available yet, and are most dealership's inventory the old S7 or new S7 at present?

    Tags:

  2. meb wrote:

    > New Spectro S7 vs. Old Spectro S7
    >
    > I see SRAM shows the new ratio-range of 303% top to bottom on the new
    > internal gear hub.

    My internal-hub gear calculator will run gear calcs on both versions,
    among others:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/internal.html

    > What changes besides ratios have been made between the new vs. old SRAM
    > S7 internal gear hub( i.e. weight/efficiency/reliability/shifting/impact
    > resistance)?

    The new model is supposed to be more durable.

    > Are these new hubs available yet, and are most dealership's inventory
    > the old S7 or new S7 at present?

    This changed happened a couple of years ago at least, everything you'll
    find in the pipeline will be new spec. Also, if it's designated
    "Spectro" it's new type.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs-internal.html

    Sheldon "Epicyclic" Brown
    +-------------------------------------+
    | One can never know what is enough |
    | until one knows what is too much. |
    | --William Blake |
    +-------------------------------------+
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. Dan Burkhart

    Dan Burkhart New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003

    Sheldon
    Is there a difference between the old S7 and the older still Sachs Super 7 it replaced? I have one of these with the cable actuated drum brake.
    If the new version is an improvement it must be really something because mine seems to be bomb proof.