new sram cassette-fitting question

Gadgetfreaky2k

Guest
I have gone out and bought a new SRAM 8 speed cassette. When I opened the box I found the two small
gears are loose. Last time I put a cassette on a bike the cassette was whole on both the removing
piece and the new piece. What is the reason for this seperation and how will it affect the fitting
of the component? Another question is there any special tools for doing the hubs as I plan to
regrease the hubs and bottom bracket while I'm doing the chain and cassette. Also what gears should
I leave the bike in when replacing cassette and chain? Ok just give me a list of tools to do the
complete job. I do need to get new tools after I lost my current set.

Gadget

planet.

Gadgetfreaky2k wrote:

> on the planet.

I can't help with your cassette problem, sorry. There'll be someone along soon enough.

Simon

>Gadgetfreaky2k wrote:
>

>> on the planet.

Glad to hear we almost agree. LOL

Gadget

"Gadgetfreaky2k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have gone out and bought a new SRAM 8 speed cassette. When I opened the
box I
> found the two small gears are loose. Last time I put a cassette on a bike
the
> cassette was whole on both the removing piece and the new piece. What is
the
> reason for this seperation and how will it affect the fitting of the
component?
> Another question is there any special tools for doing the hubs as I plan
> regrease the hubs and bottom bracket while I'm doing the chain and
cassette.
> Also what gears should I leave the bike in when replacing cassette and
chain?
> Ok just give me a list of tools to do the complete job. I do need to get
new
> tools after I lost my current set.
>
> Gadget

> planet.

re: fitting, just put the individual bits onto the freehub in the correct (and very obvious order).
All the MTB cassettes I've had in the last 10 years or so (both Shimano and SRAM) have been multi-
part components.

To remove (and fit) the cassette you'll need a chain whip and a cassette lockring tool (plus a big
spanner or adjustable to fit the tool). As regards your hubs then it depends what hubs they are.

Gadgetfreaky2k wrote:

> I have gone out and bought a new SRAM 8 speed cassette. When I opened the box I found the two
> small gears are loose. Last time I put a cassette on a bike the cassette was whole on both the
> removing piece and the new piece.

Sounds like a stoopid question, but are you sure it will fit your old hub?

> What is the reason for this seperation and how will it affect the fitting of the component?
> Another question is there any special tools for doing the hubs as I plan to regrease the hubs and
> bottom bracket while I'm doing the chain and cassette. Also what gears should I leave the bike in
> when replacing cassette and chain? Ok just give me a list of tools to do the complete job. I do
> need to get new tools after I lost my current set.

David Attenborough, Johnny Ball and Sheldon Brown know everything.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

AC

Gadgetfreaky2k wrote:
> I have gone out and bought a new SRAM 8 speed cassette. When I opened the box I
> found the two small gears are loose. Last time I put a cassette on a bike the
> cassette was whole on both the removing piece and the new piece. What is the
> reason for this seperation

You could ask the question another way: What is the reason for ever joining
separate sprockets with bolts or rivets? To make it more convenient to handle, is
the usual answer. This also makes it less convenient to clean or customise.

> and how will it affect the fitting of the component?

Fit each piece one at a time.

> Another question is there any special tools for doing the hubs as I plan to
> regrease the hubs and bottom bracket while I'm doing the chain and cassette.

Cassette: chain whip and cassette remover. BB: crank and BB removers. Possibly a
large adjustable spanner in addition for both. Hubs: probably cone spanners and
two ordinary spanners.

Exact tools required depend on models except chain whip.
www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp sell inexpensive tools that will probably do you.

> Also what gears should I leave the bike in when replacing cassette and chain?

With a triple chainset, I find wheel or chain is easiest to remove and fit when
chain is on middle ring + second from smallest sprocket - but select whichever
gear works best for you (maybe top gear).

> Ok just give me a list of tools to do the complete job. I do need to get new
> tools after I lost my current set.

Reply and cross-post to rec.bicycles.tech with make and models of your hub,
cassette and bottom bracket.

As well as Sheldon Brown's, see the instructions at:
www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

~PB

>Subject: Re: new sram cassette-fitting question
>From: anonymous coward [email protected]
>Date: 05/03/04 23:57 GMT Standard Time
>
>Gadgetfreaky2k wrote:
>
>> I have gone out and bought a new SRAM 8 speed cassette. When I opened the box
>> I found the two small gears are loose. Last time I put a cassette on a bike
>> the cassette was whole on both the removing piece and the new piece.
>
>Sounds like a stoopid question, but are you sure it will fit your old hub

They guy in the LBS said it should and if it don't he'll take it back and fit a
shinamo, do the hubs and bottom brackets gratis. I think he was showing off his
confidence.

Gadget

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:30:03 -0000, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

A bit better than whippet racing, not quite as good as
bowls.

- Uncle Mort.

--
Dave...
--

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain