New Steel Road Frame (Road) - What's Best?

hbcomb1

Sep 2, 2004
Modern Steel Frames - What's Best???

I'm in the market to replace an aging road bike and, being somewhat of a traditionalist, as well as one unconcerned with shedding ounces from the frame weight, am set on a lugged steel frame. Current thoughts are the Cinelli Super Corsa or Gios Professional. Any input or additional ideas would be appreciated. I'm not interested in racing; however, this is not intended to be a touring bike. Thanks.

hbcomb1 said:

I'm in the market to replace an aging road bike and, being somewhat of a traditionalist, as well as one unconcerned with shedding ounces from the frame weight, am set on a lugged steel frame. Current thoughts are the Cinelli Super Corsa or Gios Professional. Any input or additional ideas would be appreciated. I'm not interested in racing; however, this is not intended to be a touring bike. Thanks.
Get one that fits.The Gios may have somewhat different geometry.

I have ridden steel all my life. Just recently I cheated a little with a Lemond steel/carbon combination. It cut quite a bit of weight and still feels and looks on a quick glance like the lugged steel variety.

I really like my Rodriguez "off the shelf" steel bike from R+E. They are a small maker in Seattle. I have had it several years, toured quite a bit on it, and use it most every day for commuting. You can check them out at www.rodcycle.com. I really can't say enough about these bikes. When mine dies, I will get another one from them.

Knox Gardnerwww.bikenerd.blogspot.com

There's quite a bit of variety out there in the latest steels these days w/r/t choosing one that has your ideal attributes of strenght vs. light weight vs. durability... I'd start by researching the type of steel I wanted. Then find a frame that fits and generally floats your boat. Lots of great steel framebuilders out there (from very traditional like Waterford to more fun/modern like Landshark, and specifically I've heard great things about Cervelo's superprodigy if off-the-shelf is your preference).

Unfortunately lugged steel frames seem to be on the verge of extiction in that not a whole lot of manufacturers are still producing them. The good ones are truely works of art! The only name that comes to mind for me is Rivendell.

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/

hbcomb1 said:

I have recently purchased an '04 Pinarello Opera (Tig welded Dedacciai 16.5 EOM steel). It is not a classic lugged frame but it seems to capture a lot of the ride characteristics such as dampness and overall ride quality as the older lugged models. There is a carbon wishbone rear and full carbon fork too so it certainly would be considered modern.

PeterF said:
I have recently purchased an '04 Pinarello Opera (Tig welded Dedacciai 16.5 EOM steel). It is not a classic lugged frame but it seems to capture a lot of the ride characteristics such as dampness .....
Get it dried out before it rust.

hbcomb1 said:

How about Richard Sachs, Henry James, Fred Parr. Classic frame builders and you speak to them and they build your frame too. All steel all lugged beautiful. reply to this and i will get you a forum adress where you can speak to them in person. :)

I've always had a liking for DeBernardi frames. Their Zona is probably their most popular line. They actually have a Carbon and steel Zona. Their steel version is made with Columbus nivacrom tubing with cromoly steerer and composite fork. The weight on this frame is 1.65 kg plus 500g fork. It's designed for an Italian BB.

I found some great deals on this frame at www.repartocorse.com $750 and www.bullteksports $794.95. Bullteksports has free shipping on this item.

hbcomb1 said:

I've always been partial to Mondonico.

http://www.torelli.com/home.html?http://www.torelli.com/mondonico/mndnico.html&1