New stem - +/- Rise. I'm Confused

Jock

Guest
I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I need a
new stem.
I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
head angle of the bike)?
If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check

TIA
Jock

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:18:53 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
>handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I need a
>new stem.

What about turning the stem upside down?

>I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
>Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
>head angle of the bike)?

Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.

>If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
>Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
>
>TIA
>Jock

Yes.

http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.
"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:18:53 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
> >handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I

need a
> >new stem.

> What about turning the stem upside down?
>
> >I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
> >Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
> >head angle of the bike)?

> Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.
>
> >If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
> >Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
> >
> >TIA
> >Jock
> >

> Yes.
>
> http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:08:41 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.

Mutants are like that..... as if it doesn't look strange enough right
side up. :)

Check out the Habanero angle chart to get some ideas.

>"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:18:53 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
>> >handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I

>need a
>> >new stem.

>> What about turning the stem upside down?
>>
>> >I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
>> >Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
>> >head angle of the bike)?

>> Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.
>>
>> >If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
>> >Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >Jock
>> >

>> Yes.
>>
>> http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

That page has all the info I need
Cheers
Jock
"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:08:41 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.

> Mutants are like that..... as if it doesn't look strange enough right
> side up. :)
>
> Check out the Habanero angle chart to get some ideas.
>

> >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >need a
> >>
> >> What about turning the stem upside down?

the

> >> Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

"Jock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
> handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I need

> new stem.
> I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
> Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
> head angle of the bike)?
> If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
> Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
>
> TIA
> Jock

Try this http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

Graham

Jock wrote:

> The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.

You'd avoid an "unaesthetic" stem and suffer poor position
instead??? Odd priorities.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org