New stem - +/- Rise. I'm Confused

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jock, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Jock

    Jock Guest

    I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
    handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I need a
    new stem.
    I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
    Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
    head angle of the bike)?
    If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
    Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check

    TIA
    Jock

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:18:53 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
    >handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I need a
    >new stem.

    What about turning the stem upside down?

    >I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
    >Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
    >head angle of the bike)?

    Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.

    >If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
    >Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
    >
    >TIA
    >Jock

    Yes.

    http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

  3. Jock

    Jock Guest

    The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.
    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:18:53 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
    > >handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I

    need a
    > >new stem.

    > What about turning the stem upside down?
    >
    > >I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
    > >Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
    > >head angle of the bike)?

    > Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.
    >
    > >If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
    > >Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >Jock
    > >

    > Yes.
    >
    > http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

  4. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:08:41 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.

    Mutants are like that..... as if it doesn't look strange enough right
    side up. :)

    Check out the Habanero angle chart to get some ideas.

    >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:18:53 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
    >> >handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I

    >need a
    >> >new stem.

    >> What about turning the stem upside down?
    >>
    >> >I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
    >> >Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
    >> >head angle of the bike)?

    >> Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.
    >>
    >> >If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
    >> >Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
    >> >
    >> >TIA
    >> >Jock
    >> >

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

  5. Jock

    Jock Guest

    That page has all the info I need
    Cheers
    Jock
    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:08:41 +1000, "Jock" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.

    > Mutants are like that..... as if it doesn't look strange enough right
    > side up. :)
    >
    > Check out the Habanero angle chart to get some ideas.
    >

    > >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]

    > >need a
    > >>
    > >> What about turning the stem upside down?

    the

    > >> Basically- assuming a head tube angle of 73 degrees.

    > >> Yes.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

  6. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Jock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have just bought a bike with an aheadset and a mutant stem. but the
    > handlebars are too low. I can't raise them any more with spacers so I need

    > new stem.
    > I'm confused with what degree to buy to get some elevation.
    > Does -17 degrees get a stem horizontal with the ground (depending on the
    > head angle of the bike)?
    > If that is the case will -6 degrees get me some elevation?
    > Our local shops don't carry much of a range to check
    >
    > TIA
    > Jock

    Try this http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

    Graham

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jock wrote:

    > The mutant stem would look really strange upside down.

    You'd avoid an "unaesthetic" stem and suffer poor position
    instead??? Odd priorities.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org