New Street Machine pics

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Tags:


  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:25:15 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html

    Note for those of a nervous disposition: the new page is a Nipple Free Zone - click with
    confidence :-D

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.
     
  3. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For anyone who's interested, I've just posted a few more pictures of my Street Machine (mostly
    > close ups of various bits). They include pictures of my bottle mounts and my new stand, which
    > weren't pictured before. http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html
    >
    I've got to get me one of them. My days would be numbered on my inner london commute though - being
    that low down. Made me think that I only saw two or three 'bents in the London to Brighton. Odd,
    thought there would be more. Although one cracking 'bent tandem* with various flowerboxes attached
    made up for the lack though.

    * side by side style, not front-rear. Personally, I think this is the way to travel. Can easily chat
    to fellow rider and share the load.
     
  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Johnny Klunk wrote:
    > I've got to get me one of them. My days would be numbered on my inner london commute though -
    > being that low down.

    The Street Machine isn't all that low down, the rider sits at about the same height as the average
    car driver.

    Now that I'm used to it, if I was buying another bike I'd probably get something lower for
    commuting.

    I should be able to try out a Speed Machine soon. A friend of mine took delivery of one on Monday,
    he's asked me to pop over tomorrow evening to help him set it up
    :)

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine
     
  5. >http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html

    Back in the dim and distance past (pre-history) when I was at my first year of grammar school, we
    had german lessons. Each kid was given a german name for the duratin of the lesson. Sir tried to
    give me the name "Helga". I objected most strongly and we settled on the name of "Heidi". Perhaps he
    saw the beginnings of PSF stirrings and didn't want to risk being slabbed.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~
     
  6. Leigh Hunt

    Leigh Hunt Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Johnny Klunk wrote:
    > > I've got to get me one of them. My days would be numbered on my inner london commute though -
    > > being that low down.
    >
    > The Street Machine isn't all that low down, the rider sits at about the same height as the average
    > car driver.
    >
    > Now that I'm used to it, if I was buying another bike I'd probably get something lower for
    > commuting.
    >
    > I should be able to try out a Speed Machine soon. A friend of mine took delivery of one on Monday,
    > he's asked me to pop over tomorrow evening to help him set it up
    > :)

    Yep - the Speed Machine certainly looks faster than the Street Machine
    - I wonder if you might get a crook neck?

    I saw three other recumbents other than mine on the London to Brighton
    - one was a really low trike, with a head rest - meant to ask the guy if it came with the bike or he
    bought/made it separately, as I got a little bit of a tired neck going up Ditchling a few weeks
    previously. Plus a red RatCatcher, and a silver one that looked like a Mistral.

    Didn't see the tandem – wish I had!

    Nice pics of the Street Machine - had been looking for months for something like the Minoura Space
    Grip until I found one in my local shop a couple of weeks ago!
     
  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:08:27 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
    <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:

    >Made me think that I only saw two or three 'bents in the London to Brighton. Odd, thought there
    >would be more. Although one cracking 'bent tandem* with various flowerboxes attached made up for
    >the lack though.
    >
    >* side by side style, not front-rear. Personally, I think this is the way to travel. Can easily
    > chat to fellow rider and share the load.

    <pedant> That would be a sociable then, rather than a tandem. </pedant>

    --
    Dave...
     
  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Leigh Hunt wrote:

    > Yep - the Speed Machine certainly looks faster than the Street Machine
    > - I wonder if you might get a crook neck?

    The seat angle is 30 degrees +/- 5, which is 5 degrees shallower than the Streetmachine, but I have
    my SMGT seat reclined to the max so I'm at 30 and experience no problems. It's not so much it's more
    laid back as 20cm lower (it feels like you're *in*, rather than *on*). Also quite a bit lighter
    (though still far from a featherweight!).

    I've never heard such a complaint from lowracer riders: it's far easier to have your neck forward
    then back (as is required by MTB and drop bar uprights), in any case.

    > I saw three other recumbents other than mine on the London to Brighton
    > - one was a really low trike, with a head rest - meant to ask the guy if it came with the bike or
    > he bought/made it separately, as I got a little bit of a tired neck going up Ditchling a few
    > weeks previously.

    I think they're standard (or at least standard options) on hard-seat Tricen and Windcheetahs.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  9. Leigh Hunt wrote:

    > Yep - the Speed Machine certainly looks faster than the Street Machine
    > - I wonder if you might get a crook neck?

    When I started commuting on mine, it ached a bit for the first day or two, but I soon got used to
    the more reclined - in comparison with a Kingcycle - position.

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    ===========================================================
     
  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:08:27 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
    <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:

    >> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html

    >I've got to get me one of them. My days would be numbered on my inner london commute though - being
    >that low down.

    Mr Larrington's steed is lower still and he manages OK.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.
     
  11. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Leigh Hunt wrote:
    >
    > > I saw three other recumbents other than mine on the London to Brighton
    > > - one was a really low trike, with a head rest - meant to ask the guy if it came with the bike
    > > or he bought/made it separately, as I got a little bit of a tired neck going up Ditchling a
    > > few weeks previously.
    >
    > I think they're standard (or at least standard options) on hard-seat Tricen and Windcheetahs.

    Headrest is standard option on recent (last few years I think) mesh-seat trice too. I have one, but
    don't tend to rest my head on it while moving, just while lounging.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|
     
  12. John B

    John B Guest

    Ian Smith wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Leigh Hunt wrote:
    > >
    > > > I saw three other recumbents other than mine on the London to Brighton
    > > > - one was a really low trike, with a head rest - meant to ask the guy if it came with the bike
    > > > or he bought/made it separately, as I got a little bit of a tired neck going up Ditchling a
    > > > few weeks previously.
    > >
    > > I think they're standard (or at least standard options) on hard-seat Tricen and Windcheetahs.
    >
    > Headrest is standard option on recent (last few years I think) mesh-seat trice too.

    Since 2001 on mesh seated machines.

    > I have one, but don't tend to rest my head on it while moving, just while lounging.

    Interesting. I am considering one as I find my head hangs back too much, straining the neck a bit
    even on average climbs. I find myself watching the birds rather too much.

    John B
     
  13. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:47:00 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html
    >
    >Note for those of a nervous disposition: the new page is a Nipple Free Zone - click with
    >confidence :-D

    D'you have to always steal my thunder and say what I'm just about to say myself?

    Anyway, Guy, what's your 'bent called? <nips off to Chapman central> Oh yes, The Flying Banana. I
    hope it conforms to EU rules.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg
     
  14. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:25:15 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For anyone who's interested, I've just posted a few more pictures of my Street Machine (mostly
    >close ups of various bits). They include pictures of my bottle mounts and my new stand, which
    >weren't pictured before. http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html

    I could not help noticing your chocks. For a long time I have used small sections old inner tube
    looped around the handle bars[1]. These can then be stretched over the brake levers to apply the
    brakes and so making the bike stable when leaning on a wall - or in your case PVC waste pipe. Would
    this work for a bent? it may save carrying those blocks of wood around?

    [1] Just cut across the tube to form a 'snake' and then start snipping off little 'O' sections
    from the tube.

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying
     
  15. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:
    > I could not help noticing your chocks. For a long time I have used small sections old inner tube
    > looped around the handle bars[1]. These can then be stretched over the brake levers to apply the
    > brakes and so making the bike stable when leaning on a wall - or in your case PVC waste pipe.
    > Would this work for a bent? it may save carrying those blocks of wood around?

    Thanks for the suggestion. There's no reason why it wouldn't work on a bent and I shall certainly
    give it a go.

    Without having tried it, I actually think it'll be slightly more hassle than the chocks. The chocks
    fit comfortably in a pocket on the outside of my pannier, and only take a second to put down or put
    away again. They also won't perish, but OTOH I've come close to leaving them behind a few times and
    that won't happen with inner tube sections on the handlebar.

    Anyway, it's not as if I'm short of old inner tubes. I'll give it a go this evening.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine
     
  16. On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:21:11 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They also won't perish,

    That is the down side - they certainly do perish. I keep a loop on both side and then if one goes
    there, is always a spare. The most effective side is the front brake - or which ever wheel is
    steering. If I remember, I keep a few spares in the pencil case I use as a tool kit bag. This week I
    are been mostly using an ActionMan pencil case.

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying
     
  17. Ni

    Ni Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:25:15 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For anyone who's interested, I've just posted a few more pictures of my Street Machine (mostly
    >close ups of various bits). They include pictures of my bottle mounts and my new stand, which
    >weren't pictured before. http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html

    Very nice Danny!

    "This week I 'ave been mostly posing" :)
     
  18. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:
    > That is the down side - they certainly do perish. I keep a loop on both side and then if one goes
    > there, is always a spare.

    I put loops on each side last night and tried them out on a ride this afternoon (I forgot to take
    the chocks anyway). They worked very well - a little bit fiddly (they're fairly tight on the
    handlebar even before I loop them round the brake levers), but I soon got the hang of it. I wouldn't
    be able to do it with full fingered gloves, so I'll stick to the chocks outside the summer months.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...